Talk

Advanced search

recommendations for bought mincemeat?

(11 Posts)
forgotthebaby Sat 11-Dec-10 16:31:37

Has anyone compared shop-bought mincemeat? - not mince pies but jars of mincemeat? would like to save a little labour by buying the mincemeat but making my own pastry...would really appreciate suggestions..
thanks!

SuchStuff Sat 11-Dec-10 16:37:29

Last year, I used Sainsbury's Taste the Difference mincemeat and thought it was excellent. Haven't tried any yet this year, though - sorry!

NumptyMum Sat 11-Dec-10 16:39:54

Watching this, though being not much of a cook I'll probably end up buying mince pies...

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sat 11-Dec-10 17:38:55

I make my own and I buy shop bought, I like both.

The one thing to look for is "matured". This makes a big difference to the taste. Sainsbo's TTD is called "matured mincemeat" this year and its very good. I add a splash of brandy and some orange and lemon zest and mix well, just to liven it up a bit. grin

My posh local farm shop had some from some local rip off merchant producer and they were charging a fiver for it. Saw You Coming or what????!

If you add to shop bought with a bit of brandy and zest, its fab.

aseriouslyblondemoment Sat 11-Dec-10 18:23:01

lol @ TC grin
which recipe do you use for your own?
OP another vote here for the sainbos ttd variety,although i'm not on mince pie making duty this year as ds1 is becoming quite a pastry ace!

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sat 11-Dec-10 18:38:37

hi blonde smile

I use a few - Ballymaloe, Delia and Sarah Raven.

On the strength of this thread have just put some I froze earlier in the oven. Bad op. wink

tummytickler Sat 11-Dec-10 18:39:55

The Waitrose one is quite nice. We put extra apple in it, and it is delicious.

forgotthebaby Sat 11-Dec-10 19:56:59

thanks for suggestions....which Waitrose one do you use -- there are 4! madeira, brandy, cranberry & port, and plain...

tummytickler Sat 11-Dec-10 20:31:29

The plain one! I only have a small Waitrose and they only stock that one! Cranberry and Port sounds promising though!

forgotthebaby Sat 11-Dec-10 22:37:38

did you cook the apple before adding?

tummytickler Sun 12-Dec-10 00:00:33

no. I grated it, and just stirred it in. It cooked down whilst the mince pies were cooking.
Was scrummy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: