Talk

Advanced search

Nice family recipe for diced pork

(11 Posts)
mummytopebs Fri 10-Dec-10 20:29:39

Just that really I have a big pack of diced pork but am struggling to think what to do with it for the whole family. I have a 5 year old and a 10 month old. Any suggestions?

Ponders Fri 10-Dec-10 20:37:44

I do a lovely casserole with pork, usually halved loin steaks but diced would do.

Chop & fry some onion & celery, put into casserole dish, then brown the pork & add on top of veg. Pour tin of veg soup + some water into frying pan, season & add some worcs sauce, heat & scrape meat juice from pan & pour over meat & veg.

Cover casserole & cook for about 2 hrs at about 150-160.

Chop some mushrooms & add to casserole, cook for another 30 mins or so.

You can cook it for longer on a lower heat or less time on a higher heat but generally the meat falls apart & the sauce is gorgeous smile

tb Fri 10-Dec-10 21:35:16

Fry onions, garlic, add the pork and some cider or chicken stock. Chuck in a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf. Cover and casserole until tender.

aseriouslyblondemoment Sat 11-Dec-10 18:35:59

onions,mushrooms,can of condensed mushroom soup,some ketchup or tom puree and sage
cover and bake in moderate oven til tender
serve with rice

FairiesWearSnowBoots Sat 11-Dec-10 18:42:05

we love delia's spanish pork with olives

mummytopebs Sat 11-Dec-10 20:15:54

mmmm they all sound really nice

Aseriously blond moment do you brown the pork first?

Ponders Sat 11-Dec-10 20:20:38

I do - I think the meat picks up something from the veg, & the browning adds colour & flavour - but I don't know if it really makes any difference, & there is a school of thought that says it toughens the meat.

You could try it both ways & see!

aseriouslyblondemoment Sat 11-Dec-10 23:37:35

only briefly then i remove it from the pan before frying the rest.
just realised that i forget to add that i also include bacon in it!
but maybe you can give your LO a separate portion?
tis v yummy and also freezes a treat toosmile

tiokiko Mon 13-Dec-10 17:30:33

I make a pork casserole with onions, garlic, tinned tomatoes, chickpeas, red peppers (fresh are fine but I prefer roasted ones in jars) and some smoked paprika - really nice. DD loved it from about 9m so hopefully it would do you all.

poshsinglemum Mon 13-Dec-10 18:22:05

I could have written your post. If making pork in cider how to thicken the sauce? (sorry for mini hijack)

tiokiko Tue 14-Dec-10 12:35:52

If you want it a bit thicker and are going to brown the meat first, then dust it lightly in seasoned flour. That will cook into the sauce and give it a little more body.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: