Talk

Advanced search

Freezing / storing nigella's orange salty mince pies

(12 Posts)
RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 13:37:28

Do I freeze them raw or cooked??

One website says to freeze cooked but doesn't that make them dry on reheating?

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 10-Dec-10 13:56:12

I've frozen cooked mince pies for years and they always seem to be absolutely fine, not dry at all. I put them in an airtight container as soon as they've cooled down from the oven and then straight into the freezer.

I do serve mine cold though, so if you serve yours warm them maybe don't cook them through completely so that when you warm them up they finish off cooking and don't burn or dry out.

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 14:21:40

oh that sounds great - I serve them cold too. do you think i could bag them up in freezer bags once they've frozen? Bit short of air tight containers!!

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 14:22:14

also do your dust yours with icing sugar or egg glaze or anything? if so what stage do you do it?

taffetazatyousantaclaus Fri 10-Dec-10 14:40:24

I make hers and always freeze them raw in the tin. Leave overnigth then bash them out and store in ziplock bag in freezer.

Take them out 30 mins, put them in buttered tin,then oven for a few more mins than normal. Eggwash or milk and sprinkle with sugar before they go in. Or no sugar and then dust w icing sugar when they are hot out.

I cooked and froze them one year and when I reheated them they did seem a bit dry so I always freeze raw now.

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 10-Dec-10 15:28:11

Freezer bags would also work well, I would double bag them and get as much air out as possible. I sprinkle a little caster sugar on just before serving. Making me hungry just thinking about them!

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 15:39:45

oh my damn oven - they've come out and look a bit solid -and too brown. have dusted them and will try one in a bit and report back. if a success i will make more and freeze!

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 10-Dec-10 18:42:47

Any good?!

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 21:22:08

a bit dry and biscuit like - like i've made shortbread biscuits and overcooked them!

I hardly handled the pastry and kept it chilled so i think it was the oven - they were in it for ages before even starting to change colour!

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 10-Dec-10 21:23:25

how long do they take to thaw?

HollyBollyBooBoo Fri 10-Dec-10 22:06:46

Dry mincepies only ask for one thing...some cream on top!

Trying to remember from last xmas...I don't think long, maybe an hour or so. But I've taken them out the night before and they're absolutely fine kept in a container.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sat 11-Dec-10 19:09:19

I have just cooked some I froze raw a few weeks ago. I greased the tins, stuck them in without defrosting at all, milk glazed them and put them in at 180 c for 23 mins. Cooled on wire rack and dusted liberally with icing sugar.

They are extremely good this year, if I do say so myself. I am goin to have to make many, many more tomorrow.grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now