Talk

Advanced search

what tea time treat can I give a child who can't eat dairy?

(20 Posts)
tattycoram Thu 09-Dec-10 20:04:44

I'm not sure where to look in the supermarket, or if I could make something. Would flapjack with margarine be okay for her? Or not and would it taste horrible?

colditz Thu 09-Dec-10 20:06:06

Flapjack made with vitalite (lovely)

In fact, any cake made with vitalite instead of butter.

pagwatch Thu 09-Dec-10 20:06:53

You can make almost any recipe just substitute pure for butter. You can even just go for rice krispie cakes if you use dark chocolate.

panettoinydog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:08:06

Get some of that swedish Glace ice cream. It is delicious and absolutely not inferior to the real stuff (which can't be said for the spreads).

panettoinydog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:08:43

True, though, that cakes made with pure or vitalite have v little taste difference

pinguwings Thu 09-Dec-10 20:11:58

Most margarines contain dairy in the form of butter milk.

Use 'Pure' brand.

They make yummy flapjacks

panettoinydog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:15:22

vitalite is ok for dairy free too, I seem to remember. And I preferred its taste.

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Dec-10 20:17:27

yes you can make anything that has butter in, just use margarine

pure, vitalite, m&s own brand dairy free- all fine for cooking.

I use sainsburys own brand cooking marg, whcih says not suitable for milk allergies due to producion methods. fine for ds2 who is intolerant, but depends how allergic you are

tattycoram Thu 09-Dec-10 20:22:51

Thanks, v v helpful. Is there anything nice I can buy readymade too? Can do Tescos or Sainsburys from here

panettoinydog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:25:07

I remember cheaper products were dairy free and better quality producdets were not.

I remember that tescos own empire biscuits from the bakery section were dairy free and nice (however, M&S ones are not).

panettoinydog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:25:40

M&S not dairy free - they are very nice grin

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Dec-10 20:29:56

loads of biscuits are dairy free

hob nobs, jammy dodgers, most own brand rich tea usually are, fruit shortcake, ginger nuts

sainsburys and most other supermarkets have a "free from" section where you will be able to get dairy free cakes. they're hugely overpriced tho!

KarenHL Thu 09-Dec-10 20:31:29

Readymades you can buy in most supermarkets:

DairyFree buttons (like chocolate buttons, but made with soya) - sold in most supermarkets, usually in the FreeFrom area for apx 40p a packet.

Goats yoghurt (St Helens do a yummy strawberry flavour one, but it is unusual to find it in small pots). Usually somewhere near the 'regular' yoghurts.

Unsalted ricecakes.

Alpro Soy flavoured milk alternative (should warn they taste incredibly sweet - probably why DD loves them smile).

Alternatively we give DD fruit as a snack.

If you want something 'special' like pretty shaped chocolates, or coins (we buy these for Christmas/birthdays), I would strongly recommend a website called billygoatstuff. They are based in Essex and make chocolate products with goats milk as the lady who started the business had a child who was both dairy and soya intolerant.

HTH

Imarriedafrog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:34:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Dec-10 20:35:24

just a warning though a LOT of children who cnanot tolerate cow's milk can also not tolerate goat's milk as the proteins are very similar.
so beware if you do buy any! might be worth trying something you can buy in a very small amount if you wanted to see

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Dec-10 20:36:10

oh god, i made a delicious dairy/egg free banana bread the other day IMAF

you MUST come round and sample some soon! (i'll make another one obviously, the first one disappeared)

Imarriedafrog Thu 09-Dec-10 20:41:51

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tomhardyismydh Thu 09-Dec-10 20:52:04

i would some times pour soya milk over fruit when others where having cream. there is lovely dairy free ice cream, cant remember name but it is lovely very vanilary.

mini steamed sponges in the microvawave, with honey or syrup. I also made nice home made custard with soya milk and lots of vanilla.

most biscuits like ginger nuts, rich tea. etc.

meranguies with fruit.

alpero soya yoghurts, fruit, rasins etc. smoothies, soya milk shakes.

marshmellows. I think the marshmellow waffers are ok if I remember, but dd would tolerate traces so not too sure you would have to read them. bread and jam. rice cakes and sweet spreads.

high % chocoalat. i used to melt a few squares in microwave and dripp on strawberries etc.

thisisyesterday Thu 09-Dec-10 21:12:58

OMG! no way!

aww, that's a bit sad

tattycoram Thu 09-Dec-10 21:49:03

Brilliant, thanks again - it's a birthdayish tea as DS was too ill to go to her birthday party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now