Talk

Advanced search

Ham in the slow cooker

(8 Posts)
sheeplikessleep Thu 09-Dec-10 14:44:17

Have seen this being done on a couple of other threads.

Please can I steal borrow your recipes?

Thanks

shongololo Thu 09-Dec-10 14:51:15

nigella....coke....or cherry coke for a nice christmassy feel. From memory, chuck the ham in the slow cooker, heat up a 1.5l bottle of cherry coke, add a chopped onion, some cloves and some cherry jam. cook all day. Yummy.

look here

sheeplikessleep Thu 09-Dec-10 14:54:54

thanks for posting shongolo. my only concern is that (and probably a stupid concern!), ds2 is just 9 months and i'm not too keen on him having caffeine, not sure how much is absorbed by the ham?

eldritch Thu 09-Dec-10 15:01:21

I just stick the ham in with some water and some onion, carrot, celery and potato. After a few hours everything's cooked and you get a lovely ham stock to use for soup. I normally make a parsley sauce to go with it too, seems to go well together for some reason. smile

overthemill Thu 09-Dec-10 15:06:09

ooh i did this last week and it was lovely! Brought it to the boil first in pan (cos hadn't presoaked) then put in slow cooker with water half way up with carrot, onion etc. Then put on high for a couple of hours as i was home then when i went to college turned to medium and when they got home it was lovely, tender and delicious. they did mash and peas with it! Used the stock for soup at the weekend - really successful will do again

sheeplikessleep Thu 09-Dec-10 15:11:32

thanks for posting, that sounds lovely!
can ham be roasted in the slow cooker? i.e. dry? for ham sandwiches christmas evening? (don't ask, dh one asked for tradition as his mum always used to make it!)

shongololo Thu 09-Dec-10 15:35:40

yes, think so, if you soak it or it will be very salty.

Nigella coke receipe - have done it with ordinary coke (use caffeine free!)

Alternatively, ham in cider?

2kg Ham, 1 bottle of cider, about 8 cloves, 5 - 6 black peppercorns, 3tbs honey, 2 bay leaves

overthemill Thu 09-Dec-10 16:52:33

have done with coke a la nigella on top of stove and it was good. suspect caffiene w ill be boiled away?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: