Talk

Advanced search

Christmas Eve Food ... What are your traditions?

(53 Posts)
bytheMoonlight Thu 09-Dec-10 12:16:17

Last year we had baked camembert when dd had gone to bed but I not sure what to do this year.

I'm thinking of maybe having dinner earlier and making homemade pizza with dd.

What do you eat?

meltedmarsbars Thu 09-Dec-10 12:17:44

Carp snitchels and potato salad.

Followed by apple strudel and very stong coffee.

<disclaimer: foreign dh>

notasize10yetbutoneday Thu 09-Dec-10 12:18:08

DH does a gorgeous fish pie, and I do a not-too-filling dessert. last year it was chocolate mousse, not sure about this year.

TinselinaBumSquash Thu 09-Dec-10 12:18:56

Take away blush

meltedmarsbars Thu 09-Dec-10 12:19:47

Nota, It always used to be fish pie at my gp's too!

bacon Thu 09-Dec-10 12:52:03

I was thinking about Nigellas asian beef its stunning. With noodles?

Fish pie is nice too but planning salmon encroute for boxing day.

Need to get DCs in bed around 7pm so cant decide whether to eat early or prepare for dinner for two.

Agree that need something light. Havent got traditions for eve yet. Be nice for have something prepared now and froze.

Hassledge Thu 09-Dec-10 12:56:13

I've got myself into a trap of doing crispy duck each year - it's a bit of a messy nightmare when you have lots of people, and this year we have a veggie so I'll have to rethink.

storminabuttercup Thu 09-Dec-10 13:00:09

ham sandwiches.

last few years i've been to MIL's as she does a 'party' she tells not to eat as she is doing food but by the time we arrive all the hot stuff has been eaten and shes put all the cold stuff away ( we get there about 8 ish) so we gorge on ham sandwiches when we get home.

i always cook the ham in the slow cooker from very early christmas eve then have it on white breadcakes thick with lurpak and some silverskin pickled onions....mmmm

SpringHeeledJack Thu 09-Dec-10 13:01:58

this is really yum

if we were at home, that's what we'd be having

Indith Thu 09-Dec-10 13:02:11

Sausages, jacket potatoes and garlic bread with salads. TO be eaten around the fire and not under any circumstances at the table.

bytheMoonlight Thu 09-Dec-10 13:03:11

How do you do your crispy duck Hassledge? What do you have with it?

DD would like making pancakes out of it.

Stinkyfeet Thu 09-Dec-10 13:09:13

Something we all like - spag bol, chilli, meatballs, sausage and mash - we eat around 5.30/6, then dp and I can get stuck into the cheese/chocs/crisps later when the ds's are in bed.

livvylouis Thu 09-Dec-10 13:15:05

I cook a ham and have with baked potatoes and piccilli.

Once dc's are tucked up in bed dh and I have roasted chestnuts and mulled wine, oh and Sant's minced pie grin.

taintedsnow Thu 09-Dec-10 13:21:08

We have takeaway, traditionally speaking. grin

This year, not too sure. DN will probably not want an Indian, so may have to have that when he has gone to bed! Will probably do his favourite dinner of Quorn sausage and mash and make it a tradition for him to choose each year.

bessyboop Thu 09-Dec-10 13:22:32

We usually have salad, meat, pasta, sandwiches... nice and simlpe, don't want to be a slave in the kitchen on Xmas Eve. Then encourage DD1 to go up to bed, and I will settle DD2 (first ever Xmas for her, bless), so that I can finish wrapping all the gifts! Then sit down with a glass of red wine, and we usually open a box of chocolate. Ahhh.

ppeatfruit Thu 09-Dec-10 13:23:58

We've started a new tradition;go out for a special meal with grown up DC's it's great no washing up! It used to be the turkey liver gently fried by DH while he made the stuffing yum!

notapizzaeater Thu 09-Dec-10 13:25:45

Hot roast pork sandwiches and then we have the rest of the pork cold with Xmas dinner.

jollyoldstnickschick Thu 09-Dec-10 13:32:55

Takeaway and alcohol.

Hassledge Thu 09-Dec-10 13:57:37

Moonlight - we do the whole pancake thing (you can buy them frozen from chinese supermarkets, and the sauce), spring onions and cucumber. It's fun, but messy and people are constantly fighting over access to the sauce/whatever so you end up using loads and loads of dishes.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 09-Dec-10 14:07:25

DH's first Christmas Eve off in 7 years this year, so going to do what I've always wanted to do.....bake!

I shall be making trays of sausage rolls and mince pies, so imagine we will mainly eat those, with some crudities, crisps and dips.Grazing food, really, whilst we listen to carols and Christmas tunes and do the last of the wrapping and delivering. Lots of mulled wine and hot choc for the DC.

Big meal the next day so this good for us.

bytheMoonlight Thu 09-Dec-10 14:13:40

Sounds fab Hassledge, do you have anything else with it?

jacksgrannie Thu 09-Dec-10 14:25:39

Family coming home on Christmas Eve (including two very excited small grandsons). Have planned easy child-friendly meal, spaghetti and meatballs with home-made tomato sauce (in freezer), garlic bread, and with mince pies and ice cream for pud.

Will be eating on kitchen table (7 of us!) as dining table will be all laid ready for the big day.

Then chestnuts and mulled wine later on.

umiaisha Thu 09-Dec-10 14:36:30

OH works xmas eve every year (finishes mid afternoon) and so we tend to go out for something to eat. We have decided on Las Iguanas this year.

PeppaPigot Thu 09-Dec-10 14:38:24

FUCKING CHRISTMAS PUT IT IN CHRISTMAS

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 09-Dec-10 14:47:30

The best of the season to you too, Peppa

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: