Talk

Advanced search

Yeast, who knew?

(10 Posts)
SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Wed 08-Dec-10 11:48:49

I just found out that you can walk into any supermarket with a bakery and ask for fresh yeast. Most of the time they just give you some for free.

That's going to save me a fortune in mail order postage.

Unfortunately it was NM that told me this! I would have expected it to be a MN secret!

sethstarkaddersmum Wed 08-Dec-10 11:50:20

have you ever tried it?
I have heard it on MN as well a long time ago; I expect the person on NM who told you got it off MN wink

SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Wed 08-Dec-10 12:42:49

Ah, true, makes the world make sense again.

Went into Tesco this morning and asked the lad on the bakery. Got given 100g for free with no problems. Seemed happy to oblige!

I get much better results with fresh yeast so this makes me vey happy. Baking day tomorrow I feel.

GandalfyCarawak Wed 08-Dec-10 12:45:08

Are you serious?!

That's brilliant!

mousymouse Wed 08-Dec-10 12:47:24

at my local supermarket they don't do that anymore due to "health and safety" reasons.
I use dried active, which works well and doesn't go bad. and since I am using the sponge method most of the time I only need very little.

GandalfyCarawak Wed 08-Dec-10 12:57:50

Sponge method?

mousymouse Wed 08-Dec-10 13:03:09

Sponge method:

mix 1cup of flour with 1cup of water and half a teaspoon dried active yeast (or a little bit fresh yeast).
leave for at least six hours (I do this before leaving for work)
then add another cup of water and 500g flour, a little salt, a tablespoon oil.
knead and let rest for an hour.
shape loaf and leave for another hour.
bake as usual

GandalfyCarawak Wed 08-Dec-10 13:17:59

Thanks! Will try it.

bacon Wed 08-Dec-10 16:47:55

I have to pay for it at sainsbos. Only 16p

Having been on a bakery course the fresh yeast is the best chosen way.

I use the sponge method, I mix my receipe with Bakery Matters book and Shipton mill.

Sponge work best overnight as this improves the chemical reaction so you need less yeast. This improves flavour and texture.

Sponge method also increases the nutritional value of bread. Only if using the best quality flour of course.

SkiingGardeningTwinklyBauble Wed 08-Dec-10 16:52:51

I'm going to try the ferment method and keep some back to start the next batch. I think that's meant to improve flavour too over time.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: