(30 Posts)
StrawberrySam Tue 07-Dec-10 12:19:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 07-Dec-10 12:27:12

avoid aspartame.

or amino sweet as they're calling it now hmm

tbh, I think that sugar is the lesser of two evils grin

winnybella Tue 07-Dec-10 12:30:10

I think honey has the exact same effect wrt insuline production as sugar. People think it's so much healthier but it isn't, really.

I think sweeteners are baaaaaaaad.

Mummy2Bookie Tue 07-Dec-10 13:15:21

Personally I prefer sugar over sweeteners. Sugar is natural. Sweeteners are chemical and not natural. It's your choice but I'd prefer my own dd to have natural sugar.

FruitSaladIsNotPudding Tue 07-Dec-10 13:18:14

Sugar every time definitely. And I don't see how honey or concentrated fruit juice is any better than sugar?

Actually it really annoys me how lots of baby medicine and things are 'sugar free'. Just means they are full of much nastier sweeteners.

ilovemountains Tue 07-Dec-10 13:29:12

Another vote for sugar over sweeteners! Although this does significantly reduce the choice of squash drinks in the supermarket.

mamaloco Tue 07-Dec-10 13:32:40

Sweetener make DD1 eczema much worse, a little sugar doesn't hurt.
Agree that honey and sugar is exactly the same.

seeker Tue 07-Dec-10 13:32:41

"aren't sweeteners quite chemical?"

Everything is "quite chemical"!

And honey and fruit sugars are just different sorts of sugar.

Moderation in all things.

debka Tue 07-Dec-10 13:36:44

Sugar. Nowt wrong with it in moderation. Sweeteners are horrid artificial things.

dreamingofsun Tue 07-Dec-10 13:37:03

my son came out in great big red blotches from drinking 1 unit of ribena toothkind a day, as a toddler. ever since then i've steered well clear of artificial sweeteners - at least you know where you are with sugar - a natural product

StrawberrySam Tue 07-Dec-10 15:40:47

dbm Tue 07-Dec-10 15:44:43

Sugar in moderation. Avoid sweeteners, this includes sugar free Calpol. Don't add unnecessary chemicals to your body.

dreamingofsun Tue 07-Dec-10 15:47:13

think if you google you will find some research. i felt that such a tiny portion having such a massive impact on an otherwise non-allergic child was awful.

mugggletoeandwine Tue 07-Dec-10 15:49:25

Sugar.
DD is 9 and I still avoid artificial sweetener.

StrawberrySam Tue 07-Dec-10 16:00:59

mousymouse Tue 07-Dec-10 16:04:40

always sugar, honey also is just sugar btw. only difference is that it is refined by bees and not in a factory.

HecTheHallsWithBoughsOfHolly Tue 07-Dec-10 16:53:54

do an advanced search on here. keyword 'aspartame'. That will give you all the information you could possibly want!

seeker Tue 07-Dec-10 18:08:55

I tend to give my children food that has gone through as few processes as possible, because I think that the closer to its source a food is the better. So technically, unrefined sugar is better than refined. But I honestly don't think it makes any difference really. However, aspartame and other artificial sweeteners are miles away from 'food', and therefore to be avoided.

Also, people have been eating sugar for centuries. We know what damage it can do in terms of tooth decay, obesity and so on. We have no idea what the long, or even the short term impact of artificial sweeteners is/will be. So, once again, best avoided.

StrawberrySam Tue 07-Dec-10 18:19:55

Smash09 Tue 07-Dec-10 19:53:29

I vote for sugar in moderation. Sweeteners really encourage a sweet tooth/sweet cravings because they are so intensely sweet compared to sugar-sweetened foods/drinks. I definately don't pile sugar in to my kids just because it's 'natural' but I do think that we can enjoy a little here and there with no ill effects.

arabicabean Wed 08-Dec-10 09:38:37

I use organic agave nectar (Waitrose) when sweetening excessively tart berries for my toddler.
It has a lower glycaemic load than sugar and is also sweeter than sugar.

PrettyCandlesAndTinselToo Wed 08-Dec-10 09:53:54

Does "rocketing around the room" happen after giving her shop-bought fruit yogurts? Most of them are outrageously loaded with sugar.

Try stirring a spoonful of pureed fruit/tinned fruit/jam into plain yogurt instead. Yogurt is easy to make at home.

I definitely choose sugar over artificial sweeteners.

Sugar: everything in moderation.
Artificial sweeteners: avoid as much as possible. Besides, they taste vile.

My mother has degenerative eye problems and was told she must stop using artificial sweeteners as there appears to be a link. She uses agave nectar instead of sugar whenever possible.

seeker Wed 08-Dec-10 13:01:16

arabicabean - please can a fellow ponce be allowed a slight chortle at your Waitrose agave nectar?

StrawberrySam Wed 08-Dec-10 17:51:28

arabicabean Wed 08-Dec-10 18:11:22

Oh dear, am I a fellow ponce - I thought I was quite normalgrin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now