Talk

Advanced search

One year old mealtime nightmare

(7 Posts)
Odysseus Sun 05-Dec-10 19:35:10

My DS has wolfed down everything since weaning, "nom nom, thank you very much, is there anymore Mummy??"
Since he turned one last week mealtimes are a nightmare. He puts his hand over his mouth and shakes his head. If I pick a bit of the food up and put it in with my fingers, that has a better success rate.
I tried giving him all finger foods in case it was an independence thing, but he's not so keen on doing it that way either, and he doesn't seem to be getting much to eat.
Help!!!!!!!!!!!

debka Sun 05-Dec-10 20:54:01

They say that after 12mo they need less to eat. My DD is 20mo and eats like a little bird, but she is happy and healthy and has always slept through the night. I strongly believe that at that age they will eat what they need. Occasionally DD has surpassed herself and eaten nothing- the next day she has had a runny tummy- she knew she didn't need the food. So please don't worry, keep offering the healthy food and let him eat what he wants.

ppeatfruit Mon 06-Dec-10 10:02:58

'He doesn't seem to be getting MUCH to eat' So he IS getting enough for him ATM. DCs grow and change all the time; they have a different attitude to food than us. Try not to make an issue of it. As debka says.

tinselistooaddictive Mon 06-Dec-10 10:05:39

I think the more fuss you make, the worse it gets. Give him the food and let him eat. If he doesn't clear it away but don't offer anything else instead or sugary snacks. Mine never eat when they werecoming down with a cold.

Odysseus Wed 08-Dec-10 10:09:20

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I'm really trying not to make a big deal of it, because then he may end up with food issues.
I've moved from doing two mushy, me feeding him meals a day, to one of those and then one just of finger foods for him to have a go at. Oh and I've also started loading the sppon and then giving it to him to put in which he thinks is great.

ppeatfruit Wed 08-Dec-10 15:24:59

I used to give my DC's and mindees a spoon of their own while I helped with another spoon if it was nec. they like the autonomy.

Optomummy Thu 09-Dec-10 22:03:24

My 13 month old has not put any weight on for 2 months and now she's under the 2nd percentile. Trying to convince myself that she will eat when hungry, but she has reflux and regularly vomits still. She's also permanently snotty and full of cold, which doesn't help. Any tips gratefully received, and at what point do I start asking for professional guidance??

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: