Talk

Advanced search

Vegetarian buffet ideas please

(7 Posts)
ItsJustMyOpinion Sun 05-Dec-10 13:31:50

I have my inlaws comming around for a buffet tea on Christmas evening, they are both vegetarians. I need some ideas for what I can do in the style of a buffet that will go along side jacket potaoes, either home made or shop brought, but on a very low budget.

Any ideas extremely welcome smile

AuraofDora Sun 05-Dec-10 13:38:04

grated winter salad, like a coleslaw but with celariac, carrot, celery, fennel, onion parsley etc.. finely chopped or grated and nice oli lemon and coriander dressing

selection different cheeses to put in potatoes

mixed roast vegetables, tomatoes, peppers, fennel to help themselves

garlic mushrooms with nutmeg, parsley

egg salad warm - soft boiled eggs on bed of spinach rocket

how hungry they going to be after their nutloaf and trimmings?

ItsJustMyOpinion Sun 05-Dec-10 15:15:07

Thank you AuraofDora. TBH I don't know if they are having the big xmas dinner at lunch time. They haven't said what they are doing yet. The mushrooms sound nice, we will have different cheeses and some pickles and some type of salad. My dh suggested a pasta salad of some description. We probably wont eat a lot as we have got my parents for lunch, so will be having the turkey and all the trimmings at lunch time.

BelligerentGhoul Sun 05-Dec-10 19:29:47

Do you really want to bother with jacket potatoes, after Christmas dinner?

Tbh, I'd just do a cheese board with grapes, celery, walnuts, pickles etc and some oatcakes and nce bread, followed by trifle and mince pies.

You meat eaters could have leftover turkey/ham alongside. You could get some quorn deli ham and serve some hot Linda McCartney sausage rolls if you wanted to bulk it out a bit more.

KurriKurri Sun 05-Dec-10 20:30:40

I picked up a recipe in waitrose today for feuilles de brick canapes (FdeB is a pastry similar to filo, but less fragile, it's about £1.75 for 10 sheets)

basically you put a sheet of pastry on a chopping board, sprinkle with your topping (recipe card suggests stilton, apple and walnut, but really you could put pretty much anything on it - mushrooms, cheese, sun dried toms, olives etc.) then season with black pepper or herbs. bake at 180C for 12 to 15 mins until crisp and golden. Allow to cool and they will crisp up.

They look very quick and simple to make. HTH

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 05-Dec-10 20:38:19

yy to canapes

feuilles de brick lovely - I have two packs in fridge for party canapes

also all butter puff, ready rolled. Cut out small discs ( 4.5cm cutter ),prick well with fork, put a smear of dijon around base, a slice of cherry tomato and dip some thyme in ex voo and whack on top. Bake in hot oven for 18 mins. Can freeze once cooked and then warm up when ready to eat. Or use mix of goats cheese, red onion and olive. Any cheesy/herby/vegetable mix good really.

ItsJustMyOpinion Sun 05-Dec-10 20:51:25

My inlaws wont eat meat substitutes such as quorn or Linda McCartney etc. We are having jacket potatoes as its always been a family tradition, normally this meal would be on boxing day, but as im working boxing day evening, it has to be xmas day. I do like the sound of FdeB canapes

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: