Talk

Advanced search

Do you think last year's mincemeat is safe to eat?

(27 Posts)
fridayschild Sun 05-Dec-10 08:35:26

It's been in the fridge all year and I can't see a best before date. There's no mould or anything visible that suggests it's off. The jar's about 2/3 full, and I was going to use it to make mince pies for a party.

your views would be appreciated!

Prinnie Sun 05-Dec-10 08:39:11

Yeah, just slosh some extra brandy in to be sure! If there's no mould it should be fine.

GlynistheMincePie Sun 05-Dec-10 08:40:35

does it smell ok?

if so, it's fine

I've got some in a tub in the fridge that contains leftovers from at least 2 years ago- when DH made some, and plan to use that wink

fridayschild Sun 05-Dec-10 09:00:24

Thanks - I will put some in a small tub, let it come to room temperature and see if it smells.

Like the brandy tip! This also lets me say I have bought it of course darling, but just added a little something.... practically home made then, no?

ppeatfruit Sun 05-Dec-10 09:31:56

There's always a lot of sugar and booze in mincemeat so it should last forevergrin Ooh goody a chance to use the xmas symbol!

PureBloodMuggle Sun 05-Dec-10 09:44:48

I've some too - made it last year used so of it and the rest has been sitting there - looks fine

I'm hoping it'll be fine too!!

flamingpants Sun 05-Dec-10 09:46:39

I would. Like the booze idea. You might find some sugar crystals if a bit old. I know my mum always used to use old mincemeat from year before and we were always fine (except the year my gran put bisto in the pastry for the mince pies, they weren't as nice!)

BikeRunSki Sun 05-Dec-10 10:01:52

Yes, of course. Mincemeat was inveneted to preserve stuff!

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 05-Dec-10 13:39:09

yes yes yes you pay extra for matured mincemeat you know!

I'd add a lttle extra brandy and if you have a little orange and lemon zest to bring it back to life, as it were. grin

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Dec-10 13:43:28

i did this last year with some incredibly expensive unopened stuff. the fat in it had somehow gone rank, it turned out, and the mince pies looked AMAZING but tasted REVOLTING. i was gutted.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 05-Dec-10 13:52:32

I have just eaten a mince pie made with last year's mincemeat and it was delish.

<burp>

Aitch - the moral of the story, of course, is to make your own mincemeat. Lord knows what gunk they put in otherwise.

thumbplumpuddingwitch Sun 05-Dec-10 13:56:30

God yes - mine (shop bought) was always extra matured by several years! Not sure I've ever had any go off, but as Aitch has managed it, it is possible.

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Dec-10 14:35:43

in fact i think that was the problem, i had bought it at christmas fayre cupcake and bunting type thing, so it was proper home-made. however i bought my pudding from the woman and ate it the right year and it was sensational, so i know she can cook.

i should have heated some up in micro and tasted it first, in retrospect. i only tasted the fruit/booze bit (whcih was fine) as cold pellet of fat none too appealing.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Sun 05-Dec-10 15:52:25

Oh dear Aitch, I stand corrected. What a disappointment.

AitchTwoOh Sun 05-Dec-10 19:02:48

i KNOW. grin anyway, clearly i too thought it would be fine as i went ahead and did it myself. just taste the fat first, OP... mmmmmmmm. wink

MummyElk Sun 05-Dec-10 19:07:17

yup agree with aitch, off fat is disgusting. and never to be repeated. so i'd at least try some before you go to the effort of pastryness....
You'll KNOW..grin...
and yup, slosh a load of booze and citrus in it if it's ok, will be lovely if the fat is good

kennythekangaroo Sun 05-Dec-10 19:09:18

I've used last years in my mincepies and they tasted lovely.

ppeatfruit Tue 07-Dec-10 16:00:32

Deels's recipe for mincemeat includes slowly heating in a low oven. I wonder if that would stop the fat from going rancid? Mine has always been fine after a year.

Keithington Tue 23-Dec-14 14:52:46

Hi, I made some homemade mince meat last year, one jar had mould on the top layer which I removed and added some brandy, will it be safe to use? Please help, its strange as my other jar has no mould at all.

wannaknow7 Sun 18-Dec-16 15:49:46

Hi we are gradually catching up on the dates of mincemeat in jars from the cupboards. last years was 3 years old and was yummy. Have just found another unopened jar with seal not expanded, c best before sept: 2002
opened smells OK looks OK. watch this space.

Sgtmajormummy Sun 18-Dec-16 16:03:40

The fat in traditional mincemeat is supposed to be suet, the stuff cows' kidneys are encased in.
Mmm, rancid offal....fgrin
Came on to say 2yo Robertson's mincemeat was fine.

polkadotdelight Sun 18-Dec-16 17:41:29

Oooh so the unopened jar of robertsons that has been sat in the cupboard with a use by date of Sept 16 is fine? Wooooooop!

wannaknow7 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:55:13

Well the pies taste good. no harmful effects as yet :-)

wannaknow7 Sun 18-Dec-16 18:56:28

noticed none of the jars have a use by date. All are best before.

confuugled1 Sun 18-Dec-16 19:21:21

This has just reminded me that as well as a jar of unopened mincemeat of indeterminate age, I have last year's unopened Christmas pud and I'm wondering if it is ok to eat.

It's gone past its date but I'm sure when I was little dad used to get given a pud by a client and we always ate it a year later. But that was before best before dates and I suspect they would have put more booze in back then ...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now