Talk

Advanced search

easy and cheap ideas for party buffet please

(6 Posts)
twinterror Sat 04-Dec-10 18:54:15

Hi I am having a party in a hired place for my 40th in Jan. I want it to be more 'rock n roll' dancing and having a few drinks than afternoon tea. but i do need to provide some food as some people will be travelling and I think its nice to provide something to eat. I've declined the £4.50 per head buffet I can get at the venue on the grounds its likely to be pretty poor.

I will have between 40 and 75 people coming and I would love your suggestions on what I can do that is easy, quick (don't want to spend days before cooking) and not too expensive.

I love making canapes etc but I just want to be able to chill out in the run up to the party and not make it a big stress out.

thanks v much

ANTagony Sat 04-Dec-10 19:06:58

Do you have a freezer?

If so I'd suggest getting to the shops the day they open after new year and buy up all the frozen left over Christmas party food. Last year I did a Tesco run after the bad weather and all the party boxes of stuff were 50p. It was all long dated so great for snacky teas for many months, or in your case perfect to get out the night before the party to spread out on party trays.

Likewise its a great time of year to buy up disposable cups, plates and napkins

twinterror Sat 04-Dec-10 19:19:58

Thanks ant - did it need cooking/heating through (no cooker at the venue)
I like that idea, freezer is quite full but an attempting to empty it out at moment

ANTagony Sun 05-Dec-10 08:19:07

Some needed cooking - especially chicken and sausages. Things like some of the mini Indian and Chinese snacks were edible once defrosted. Lots of the mini deserts were also serve defrosted.

mousymouse Sun 05-Dec-10 08:23:42

can you get a single hot plate? then you could do a stew in advance and keep it warm.

fridayschild Sun 05-Dec-10 08:32:27

Cherry tomato, bit of mozarella, bit of avocado, basil leaf, all skewered on on toothpick.

You can't do them too long in advance but they are easy to do if people are offering to help and claiming they can't cook. And they are veggie, if you need to feed anyone who doesn't eat meat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now