EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 14:38:40

ok - for the nursery fete i am baking some cakes

chocolate cake - does this seem right?

8oz dark chocolate
6 oz flour
8 oz butter
8 oz molasses sugar
3 eggs

would you fill such a cake with jam and chocolare icing, or jst chocolate icing??
i do chocolate butter icing with milk &white chunks on this cake.

and would you prefer cherry-chocolate? (add 4 oz cherries to above)
or

white chocolate & strawberry? (sponge with strawberry jam filling, white choc icing & white choc chunks.)

ididnamechangeforthis Sat 04-Dec-10 14:45:08

Being of the pregnant persuasion at the moment, cherry chocolate sounds delicious! Are you making a sponge cake, or individual cakes?

I think just chocolate icing would be enough too

HTH

EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 14:49:10

i am making sponge cakes, others will be doing fairy cakes.

ididnamechangeforthis Sat 04-Dec-10 14:56:37

They sound absolutely gorgeous.

Umami Sat 04-Dec-10 14:58:20

Chocolate cherry all the way - one of your five a day, surely?

I made a chocolate fudge cake last week and put some black cherry conserve in the middle. It was splendid.

EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 15:02:17

DH reckons that cherry chocolate is 2 of your five a day, as chocolate is a bean.

do you reckon jam filling = appropriate for cherry-chocolate, but not chocolate?

EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 15:02:59

see my profile for stupid cherry triple chocolaye cake...

ididnamechangeforthis Sat 04-Dec-10 15:18:02

are you making little Mini sponges a la Mr Kipling (but obviously much much better)

BTW that chocolate cake looks amazzzzzzing

EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 15:32:48

i'll be doing 8" sponge cakes. they are bought on a donations basis and i hope to tease out low-banknote donations rather than pocket change ones.

though, probs, whatever comes is good.

i am not going to get cake-status-anxiety.

Umami Sat 04-Dec-10 15:39:08

Oh yes, definitely agree re: bean.

I think everything is better with jam. Cake-wise, anyhow.

That chocolate cake is fabulous. I have some upcoming charidee baking, and shall take inspiration from it!

EdgarAllenSnow Sat 04-Dec-10 19:37:09

that was DHs birthdya cake. he wuvs me.

tb Sun 05-Dec-10 14:44:15

I use lemon curd to sandwich the cakes together, or as an alternative 150g plain choc to 65g butter, melted and then cooled a little and whipped to the colour of milk choc. I have used this to both sandwich cakes together and as a covering. It needs about 300g of choc for a 9-inch 3 layer cake.

The only difference in the cake recipe is that I used plain flour and 1tsp of baking powder per egg instead of 3/4 tsp.

EdgarAllenSnow Sun 05-Dec-10 16:38:50

iteresting..i have some lemon curd. It'd add citrus tones to the overall flavour

>hmm<

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now