Talk

Advanced search

Hampers

(8 Posts)
MyLifeIsFeelingFestive Sat 04-Dec-10 13:00:34

I'd like to get someone a hamper as a Christmas present. I thought it might be nice as she hasn't got much money and I feel sorry for her every time I go round and she has only got milk and cheese in the fridge. Nothing else. I'd like to spend £50 but would go up to £60

Has anyone got any recommendations for a good hamper / hamper company? She doesn't really drink so it doesn't need to have any alcohol in it.

Thanks

nannyl Sat 04-Dec-10 21:36:28

how about buying some stuff yourself and decorating a box?

I feel you would get much more for your money?

Otherwise M&S and john lewis have good selections, and a some alcohol free ones too

cupofcoffee Sat 04-Dec-10 22:13:05

Agree with nannyl. Prepared hampers seem expensive for what you get in them so you could get a lot more if you put it together yourself. Also whenever I've looked at hampers there is a mix of stuff the person likes and doesn't like in them and I have found it better to do it myself to get the best selection.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sat 04-Dec-10 22:59:44

yy to making your own. Much nicer and easily done. Unless you think she likes stuff like gentleman's relish....

longdarktunnel Sat 04-Dec-10 23:09:08

I've done this before - biscuits, nice cheese, some chutney and jam, elderflower cordial, some upmarket pesto, chocolate, cured meat and smoked salmon - £50 would buy you heaps of stuff and a nice basket.

MyLifeIsFeelingFestive Sun 05-Dec-10 09:26:08

That's a good idea, thanks!

MisSalLaneous Sun 05-Dec-10 22:13:36

Having done a pre-Christmas Lidl shop today, I can highly recommend going there for some/most of the hamper - I love the things they have around Christmas, e.g. mini stollen, chocolates, pretty festive biscuits, etc. Depending on whether she'd be able to refrigerate immediate or not (e.g. if you're leaving hamper with someone) this might not be doable, but I also think they've got lovely cheeses and some nice cold meats, whole salamis etc for relatively cheap. You could always bulk it up with things from there and then add a couple of more expensive things from other shops. I imagine if you could buy a cheap wicker basket at a market, you'd be able to build a fantastic hamper for £50 if you choose well. Buying a ready-made one from another supplier won't give you a lot for £50, shockingly.

CDMforever Sun 05-Dec-10 22:23:55

Got my baskets for my hampers from TKMAXX - v cheap and lovely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now