Talk

Advanced search

Roast beef lunch tomorrow - how much can I do the night before?

(6 Posts)
bitzermaloney Sat 04-Dec-10 11:02:55

Planning roast beef, yorkshires, roast pots, parsnips, spring greens, carrots, broccoli. Horseradish sauce will have to be from a jar as supermarket was practically bare today.
Also planning an apple and blackberry crumble.

Can I parboil the potatoes this evening? Anything else I can prep before? I have to go out most of the morning and want to avoid a really late lunch.

blowbroth Sat 04-Dec-10 13:19:46

You could do the crumble but don't bake it until tomorrow.
You could par-boil the spuds and lay them out on a baking tray , covered with cling film , in the fridge and then just bung them in the oven to roast.
I would prep all the veg.
Peel and cut carrots, store in a sealed bag/bowl.
I steam my brocolli so would prep it and have it ready to go in my steamer.
You could peel and prep the parsnips and store them in the fridge overnight. they'll just need 15-20 minutes tomorrow with the spuds.
Not much you can do with the meat or yorkshires. You'll have to do them fresh tomorrow.
Hope that helps! I am a big fan of doing as much as poss in advance so it all goes easily on the day.

blowbroth Sat 04-Dec-10 13:20:26

Should add that you can do all that today!

DrSeuss Sat 04-Dec-10 13:39:22

Yorkshires' batter, carrots, parboil spuds, crumble, parsnips. Bag veg and put in fridge. Don't put it in water.

bitzermaloney Sat 04-Dec-10 19:01:16

Brilliant thank you smile. So I can make the yorkshires batter tonight as well?

DrSeuss Sat 04-Dec-10 19:23:51

My mother always made it several hours in advance and then rewhisked just before using. She said this made better batter. You could also put the fat in the tin ready to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now