Talk

Advanced search

Is it ok to use eggs with use by 25th nov that have been stored in the fridge?

(15 Posts)
RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 03-Dec-10 14:18:39

what are the chances they'll have gone off?

ethelinaTheBloodyGreatXmasElf Fri 03-Dec-10 14:20:08

drop themm into a jug of cold water. fresh eggs stay on the bottom, off eggs float.

winnybella Fri 03-Dec-10 14:20:39

Only if I had been snowed in and the children were desperate to bake a cake. Crack them open and smell.

notasize10yetbutoneday Fri 03-Dec-10 14:21:51

I used some last night in pad thai with a date of 25 november and they were fine, i cracked them into a bowl first to smell them.

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 03-Dec-10 14:22:35

Thanks everyone and great tip ethelina!

onimolap Fri 03-Dec-10 14:23:07

Only for something which will be very thoroughly cooked (salmonella risk etc): so hard-boiled probably ok, scrambled very possibly not.

ChickensHaveNoMercyForTurkeys Fri 03-Dec-10 14:23:49

ethelina has the right idea. Rotten eggs smell vile.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Fri 03-Dec-10 14:25:36

but for future reference, don't store eggs in the fridge.

they are laid with a special protection layer on them, and the fridge is wet, so ake condensation on the eggs which can ruin the protection layer.

and if the egg only bobs part way up, they're also fine - they have to float right to the top to be off.

(i had some eggs that were BB of 4 weeks before we ate them, and they were fine - but they were stored in their box on a cool counter)

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 03-Dec-10 14:26:34

we have to store them in the fridge really as our kitchen is so hot....

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Fri 03-Dec-10 14:36:12

grin
Is there anywhere in your house that's cooler?
back step, maybe? or in the hall?

RememberToPlaywiththeKids Fri 03-Dec-10 15:34:36

not that is manageable on an ongoing basis with 3 under 4, no!

midori1999 Fri 03-Dec-10 20:49:49

Eggs do go off quicker in the fridge.

We have hens, so don't buy shop eggs any more. When we did, I pretty much ignored the best before dates on them. I have never thrown an egg away and they have never been off and I reckon I've eaten them at least two weeks past the sell by date.

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Sat 04-Dec-10 11:01:54

That's the other option, Remember! grin

chickens are a great pet to have, because they earn their keep.
if you got 3 point of lay hens, then you would be overrun with eggs for the family and wouldn't need to worry about storage!

TrillianAstra Sat 04-Dec-10 11:09:05

If they eggs have salmonella in them, they have salmonella in them whether they are fresh or old. It's completely unrelated to whether they are 'off' or not. If they have a lion mark they almost certainly don't have salmonella.

If you are brave, break each one into a cup (separately) and you will know if one is bad.

I'd stand outside to do that part actually...

nickeldonkeyonadustyroad Sat 04-Dec-10 11:22:17

ominolap mentioned salmonella, i think as a warning about cooking rather than storage, Trills.

but in theory, no hens in this counrty should carry salmonella - even garden hens. so you are right, there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: