Talk

Advanced search

How long can I keep cooked meals with meat in them?

(6 Posts)
ChocolateMoose Fri 03-Dec-10 12:04:25

I'm a non-meat eater so pretty clueless about these sort of things, but I want to cook meat for my son (15 months). My husband's a carnivore. So if I want to cook spaghetti bolognaise for my son (which will almost certainly be rejected as he rejects almost anything that isn't sandwiches, but that's another thread), suppose I cook an adult size portion so DH can have it. Would it be ok to reheat a meal cooked at lunchtime in the evening? What about the next day?

Another question - if I buy a packet of mince and freeze it, how long can I keep it frozen for in a normal freezer?

Thank you!

TheNextMrsDepp Fri 03-Dec-10 12:07:38

Cooked mince (i.e. bolognaise) will keep for several days in the fridge. Just make sure it's heated thoroughly (give it a good boil).

Raw mince in the freezer - if you buy ready-frozen mince it will say on the bag. Otherwise you'll probably be OK for up to a year (presuming you have a proper freezer, not just an ice-compartment).

happysmiley Fri 03-Dec-10 12:09:30

You can keep frozen food for pretty much as long as you like. Several months at least, theoretically years but I've never tried that.

For something like a bolognese in the fridge, it should keep quite happily for 2 to 3 days. Make sure it piping hot when you serve it.

ChocolateMoose Fri 03-Dec-10 12:21:12

Thanks! I'm confused about the frozen food thing though as on packets it can say things like "freeze on day of purchase, use within one month"

TheNextMrsDepp Fri 03-Dec-10 12:35:20

Yeah, they always say that, take it with a pinch of salt.

SevenAgainstThebes Fri 03-Dec-10 22:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: