Talk

Advanced search

Self-raising flour - any bakers out there that can help?

(8 Posts)
MaggieMuggins Fri 03-Dec-10 12:03:31

I'm snowed in and was thinking of making biscuits with DD. I only have self-raising flour (and that has use by Aug 2010 on it! blush) - can I use that instead of plain? I was just going to do something basic with butter, flour and sugar - sort of a shortbread. She's only 2 so it's more about the activity of making them than what they taste like!

Oh, and what difference, if any, would it make if I use it for making a cheese sauce?

Lilymaid Fri 03-Dec-10 12:05:05

Cheese sauce - no difference at all
Biscuits - they will rise a bit, but still taste the same.

walkinginaWUKTERwonderland Fri 03-Dec-10 12:05:25

I don't know but my guess is that sr flour needs some sort of catalyst to activate the raising agent. So in the absense of that it should work like normal flour.

That's a guess and am waiting for someone who really knows to explain.

Lilymaid Fri 03-Dec-10 12:10:26

I think you'll find that the catalyst is the liquid you use - which obviously would include the water in butter/margarine.
You won't end up with frothing cheese sauce!

Pennies Fri 03-Dec-10 12:11:49

Make fairy cakes instead.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Fri 03-Dec-10 13:00:27

yes little cakes are perfect for sr flour

altho if the use by is Aug then the raising agents may be dead by now anyway grin

I am sure biscuits/shortbread will be fine, maybe not win any prizes, but for toddler baking purposes, all good.

MaggieMuggins Fri 03-Dec-10 13:00:44

Cheers all! I'll give them a bash then - or do fairy cakes if I can find any paper cases at the back of the cupboard

spacegrantham Fri 03-Dec-10 15:18:52

if you dont have any paper cases but do have a muffin tin or fairy cake tin , just butter well and cover butter with flour , this should help them to unstick themselves once cooked.

Which did you make , fairy cakes or shortbread ?

X

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now