Talk

Advanced search

Quinoa?

(14 Posts)
sparklyjewlz Fri 03-Dec-10 10:16:15

Trying to be healthy, I have bought some. Now what do I do with it? Do you need to soak it and how long should I cook it for. Any delicious recipes?

UptoapointLordCopper Fri 03-Dec-10 20:40:30

This is the only use of quinoa I know of. It's a very nice cake. Very grown-up taste. Kids don't like it. That could be an advantage. grin Don't know about healthy though.

Maria2007loveshersleep Fri 03-Dec-10 21:38:30

No delicious recipes but I love it & just eat it plain in place of rice with anything really. Or I just eat it sometimes on its own, for a very plain meal, with natural yoghurt. May sound weird I know, but I think it's delicious.

sparklyjewlz Sat 04-Dec-10 09:43:25

Thanks smile

aprildays Sat 04-Dec-10 18:20:22

very very good for you
I use it on its own and add stuff to it
I like to add avocado, tomatos, olives, cucumber to make a salad

NorbertDentressAngelOnTheTree Sat 04-Dec-10 18:23:35

We (well, DP) make a lovely warm salad with quinoa and butternut squash with goats cheese and toasted pumpkin seeds sprinkled on top,

No idea where the recipe is from but try googling it or using a site where you put in key ingredients?

ppeatfruit Sun 05-Dec-10 09:54:53

OOh yes Norbert I love it, I do find it cooks quicker if you soak it for a while then sieve it also that removes the outer coating (some people are allergic to it).

ppeatfruit Sun 05-Dec-10 09:57:43

LOl at Norbert ( we live in france off and on) and that's what we have called our stray cat.smile

ontariomama Tue 07-Dec-10 09:02:07

we use it in soups mostly, this is the staple I turn to in a huury : )

1 onion, 2 stalks celery, 2 cloves garlic, brown in butter
add 8 cups beef stock, 1 cup cubed carrots, 1 cup quinoa, simmer for 30 minutes, add 1 or 2 cups frozen veg ( petit pois, green beens, corn, ...) simmer for another 10 minutes, and serve : )
high in protien, tons of veg, very filling, awesome flavour, nearly fat free : )

franke Tue 07-Dec-10 09:03:15

I love it added to a feta salad type affair.

Unprune Tue 07-Dec-10 09:09:11

I love it. I think it's essential to cook it in some sort of stock (I just use a kallo stock cube) or half stock-half orange juice - surprisingly nice.

NorbertDentressAngelOnTheTree Tue 07-Dec-10 16:59:14

Heres the one I mentioned earlier -its a Waitrose recipe

ppeatfruit* Norbert is a cool name for a cat grin

ppeatfruit Tue 07-Dec-10 17:47:54

Thanks norbert smile I sometimes make a warm cooked quinoa salad; with chopped avocado, spring onions and parsley and or basil with a lemon juice, soya sauce and olive oil dressing. It's yum

livvylouis Tue 07-Dec-10 18:21:42

I had some last week and was feeling festive so I cooked in veg stock, then mixed chopped chestnuts, pomegranate and clemintine juice and zest through.

It was delish smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: