Talk

Advanced search

New Years Day Party ideas please?

(7 Posts)
stillbobbysgirl Wed 01-Dec-10 16:26:15

I appear to have accidently started a tradition of the annual "Thank Christ Xmas is Over Party" on New Years Day. Can you tell I am a bit of a humbug?!

Anyway, was not going to bother this year as too lazy really, but friends are demanding it as we had a great old day last year and year before. Its usually about 15 adults and loads of kids sitting around nursing headaches and having a chill out.

So, I'm not much of a cook, but love good food, so last year, going with the hungover/comfort food theme, I did :

spinach, ham and cheese bake
huge pot of veggie soup and french bread
enormous (lovley) honey baked ham from Costco
salad
cheese board with crackers, grapes etc
jugs of bloody mary

Pals will bring sweet things/cakes

can anyone give me other ideas for very easy things I can mostly prepare on NYE before settling down with Jools Holland and then throw on the table at 1pm.

Thanks!

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 01-Dec-10 16:29:43

Curry. I have a real need for spicy food post Xmas.

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 01-Dec-10 17:16:00

Sounds as if you've got it covered.

CeliaChristmasFate Wed 01-Dec-10 17:29:21

Baby new potatoes, baked whole with sea salt.
Pickles and beetroot to go with the ham.
Crisps and nibbles.

It sounds fab!

nikki1978 Wed 01-Dec-10 17:37:07

I am going for almost exactly the same thing for my NYE party

Except with booze of course ;)

Think it sounds lovely and just enough to be honest. Too many bits is too much hassle and people are happy with 4 or 5 things on their plate.

lilolilmanchester Thu 02-Dec-10 12:20:10

chilli, salad, garlic bread?

Or go with soup again and hot roast pork sandwiches?

thereisthesnowball Thu 02-Dec-10 14:43:14

Love the sound of hot roast pork sandwiches.

Otherwise: one ham with French and English mustards; one cheese platter plus grapes, celery, interesting chutney, oatcakes etc; one enormous green salad; one lentil salad (puy lentils and roast root veg, with watercress); one tomato and red onion salad; lots of delicious part-baked baguettes. Whatever you do, make sure you have lots of the right condiments.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: