Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with loads of ground almonds?

(25 Posts)
CitrusZest Wed 01-Dec-10 14:56:37

I've just cleaned out my kitchen cupboard and found 5 separate, open packets of ground almonds. blush I'm sure I've seen a Nigella cake where you boil a whole lemon/orange but can't find the recipe anywhere.
Any recipes for that or any other ideas for using them up would be most welcome!

Orangesarenottheonlyfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 14:59:00

Nigella Clementine cake, I have just had a piece! Is ridiculously easy, once you boil up the clementines - http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/clementine-cak e-2559

maktaitai Wed 01-Dec-10 15:04:24

MACAROONS

line baking sheet with rice paper (I know, I know - you could use greaseproof but you may have to eat some of it)
2 egg whites, beat til reasonably stiff. Mix in 8.5 oz ground almonds,
some sugar, say 5 oz (find a proper recipe, these amounts are getting weird!)
dessert spoonful of ground rice
orange flower water if you have such a thing, couple of teaspoons of orange juice if not

dump teaspoonfuls on the tray and push down with a fork dipped in cold water

bake for erm a while at a slowish temp - 25 mins at 160? something like that

EAT THEM ALL YOURSELF

mmm macaroons

meltedmarsbars Wed 01-Dec-10 15:05:41

Nigella's chocolate macaroons are good too.

happysmiley Wed 01-Dec-10 15:15:48

Anything with francipan is my favourite. Either a bakewell tart type of thing, or this time of year put a frangipan topping on homemade mincepies instead of a pastry lid.

My other Xmas almondy treat is German cinnamon star biscuits. They aare a bit fiddly but very tasty.

midnightexpress Wed 01-Dec-10 15:16:30

yy home made macaroons are fab.

TrillianAdAstra Wed 01-Dec-10 15:16:51

Jamie did a thing in 30 min meals

Pastry cases (his were bought)

blob in jam

cover with mixture made of 100g almonds, 100g sugar, 100g butter, 1 egg

bake in oven.

sarah293 Wed 01-Dec-10 15:17:12

Message withdrawn

tb Wed 01-Dec-10 16:01:28

Fruit tart with frangipane filling - it puffs up in the oven and forms a crater around the fruit.

If it sounds interesting I'll dig out the recipe.

Or Maids of Honour

Fill tart tins with shortcrust pastry. Spread a little raspberry jam in the base.

Whisk 2-3 egg whites until stiff, add a couple of tablespoons of castor sugar and re-whisk. Fold in some ground almonds until a thickish mixture is formed. Blob on top of the jam until the tarts are full.

Cook for about 15-20 mins - about mk 6 from memory.

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Dec-10 16:02:23

that clemetine cake is way over-rated imo.

CitrusZest Wed 01-Dec-10 20:01:59

I'll weigh what I have. hopefully enough to do the clementine cake and some macaroons. Aitch - hope you're wrong or I've just wasted two hours boiling my kids' favourite fruit!

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Dec-10 20:03:04

well i think it's a bit claggy and skaggy and not as high in citrus as you would hope. would benefit from some lemon or lime added to sharpen a bit imo.

taffetazatyousantaclaus Wed 01-Dec-10 20:08:53

I have an Annie Bell or Rachel Allen or somebody can't remember recipe for an orange and almond cake and its fabulous. No boiling or anything. Stick the whole blardy raw orange in the processor and blitz, then shove all the rest in and blitz, job done and is very orangey.

I am an almond fiend. Send them to me. Frangipane mince pies are wonderful, again I have a great recipe for this if you are interested can post.

AitchTwoOh Wed 01-Dec-10 20:24:52

see just plain orangey oranges sounds much nicer.

funtimewincies Wed 01-Dec-10 20:30:14

Use half almonds and half flour when you make a crumble topping.

SingingBear Wed 01-Dec-10 20:36:57

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pipplin Thu 02-Dec-10 15:45:41

I have an orange and almond cake recipe if you are interested? Its a Keith Floyd one. Its rather good and can be used as a dessert as well with some creme fraiche and orange zest.
Or just gobbled up warm in front of the tv with a cuppa...not that I have tried that of course grin

OneFishTwoFish Thu 02-Dec-10 15:52:35

I didn't think much of the clementine cake either TBH and I'm usually a big fan of Nigella's recipes. DH liked it though.

CitrusZest Thu 02-Dec-10 20:33:56

Aitch - toally agree...needs a bit of oomph.
Taffeta, I'd love the mince pie recipe. I've still got about 200g of ground almonds.

CitrusZest Thu 02-Dec-10 20:34:26

Pipplin, I'd love the orange and almond cake recipe too.

SaorAlba Thu 02-Dec-10 20:38:22

Jamie Oliver frangipan is lovely. Recipe is here

taffetazatyousantaclaus Thu 02-Dec-10 21:49:34

Frangipane Mince Pies

Makes about 36

750g sweet shortcrust pastry
200g unsalted butter
200g caster sugar
200g ground almonds
50g flour
2 large eggs
2 tbspn rum or brandy
1 jar luxury mincemeat ( about 400g )
flaked almonds to decorate
icing sugar to dust

Preheat oven 180c/gas 4 and butter three 12 hole jam tart tins. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface until quite thin. Using a cutter cut out rounds just larger than the holes in the tin. Press a round gently into each hole then put in the fridge for half an hour to relax whilst you neck some amaretto.

For the frangipane, beat the butter until very soft with an electric mixer then gradually add the sugar and ground almonds. Mix in the flour, followed by the eggs and finally the rum or brandy.

Half fill the pastry cases with mincemeat then pipe about a heaped teaspoon of the frangipane over the top of each one ( or spoon it on and smooth it over ). Sprinkle with a few flaked almonds. Bake for about 25 mins until golden brown. Cool a little in the tin then remove and finish cooling on a wire rack. Dust with icing sugar.

If you ever have a ground almond surplus again, I also dug out the most divine pear, mincemeat and frangipane tart recipe. It is outrageously bad for you. grin

alypaly Fri 03-Dec-10 17:44:19

bakewell tart. easy and great with custard too.

AitchTwoOh Fri 03-Dec-10 21:50:43

<struggling with being simultaneously delighted that you agree re oomph and disappointed for you>

tiokiko Sun 05-Dec-10 12:29:03

Oh, I love that clementine cake! I think I like it because it's not v sweet and I do think it's v orangey - but not zingy orangey.

I've made it with lemons instead of clementines and it was nice - and zingier!

If you want something savoury how about a chicken pastilla (Moroccan filo pie) - it uses ground almonds.

Can't remember how I've made it in the past but there is a recipe here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now