Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got a recipe for icing, please?

(2 Posts)
coolbeans Wed 01-Dec-10 13:27:35

It is DS's 5th birthday next week and I'm going to make him a dinosaur cake <hopeful>.

Found an easy tutorial how hard can this be? Seriously.

But I have no idea what they are using as icing, or frosting, as they call it being American and all.

Could any cake experts out there help me out? And if you could hook me up with a recipe - that would be fab.

TIA

FindingMyMojo Wed 01-Dec-10 14:24:58

you will want to make buttercream icing - it's basically lots of butter & icing sugar, little milk & colouring. You can add essence also to flavour (I did lemon for DD's cake recently or add coco powder for chocolate icing).

it's easy to make - trick is to beat the butter on it's own until it goes very pale, nearly white, before adding other ingredients.

this sounds very similar to the recipe I use.

You might need to make double the reciepe depending on the size of the cake - better to have more than less & you need the colour to be consistant.

Use a hot knife or spatular (dip into jug of very hot water) to smooth surface once its all on.

Best of luck

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now