Talk

Advanced search

Which cookbook would you recommend for...

(19 Posts)

A single man in his 50s, who cooks for one most days but occasioanlly entertains and when does so, likes to push the boat out, but lacks confidence in some cooking techniques?

Im thinking something Deli Smith-esque, but a bit more modern? He likes all types of cuisine eg not just limited to roasts/English food.

I was thinking Nigel Slater perhaps- but which one to give a sort of 'overview'?

TIA

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 13:00:30

The newish Delia Smith courses How to Cook are brill I don't think anyone can beat her for clear explanations. pub. BBC Worldwide Ltd.

tb Wed 01-Dec-10 13:00:54

Delia did do at least one book, that was about cookery for one. Sorry, can't remember what it was called, but think it was for 'proper food' rather than studenty bedsit type.

Thanks both. its difficult as I dont want to come across as patronising IYSWIM- "poor you cooking for one" etc. Also its more the entertainign side he struggles with, as he is so used to cooking for one.

Maybe what Im looking for are dinner party type recipes, but that are simple and easy to follow with clear instructions?

Actually I could do with one of those!

ppeatfruit Wed 01-Dec-10 13:12:16

I CAN cook but really like her "How to" books good recipes for everything honest!

happysmiley Wed 01-Dec-10 15:10:37

DH is currently all excited about the new Jamie book. He hasn't cooked anything for friends for years, but is now full of ideas of what he can cook next time we have visitors.

Although the book is meant to be quick family meals, I wouldn't be embarassed to serve up any of the meals in there if I was entertaining. The fact that most of the meals have two courses helps.

Everything is well explained and it's perfect for someone who cooks a bit but isn't that confident and isn't that interested in making everything from scratch.

imkeepingmum Wed 01-Dec-10 15:13:18

Ainsley Harriot Friends and Family - has some meals for one, some for entertaining, and basics such as bechamel sauce, pastry etc in it

ThwopGoesTheMooncup Wed 01-Dec-10 15:18:10

I love River Cottage Everyday. It's got a variety of stuff in it, it's all pretty easy and plenty of it is nice enough for entertaining. I judge my books by how much they are used- I've had it for a year and cooked about 20 things, some many times. I've got other books that I've had far longer and barely opened.

flamingpants Wed 01-Dec-10 15:23:58

I love River Cottage Everyday too but I also think you are on the right lines with Nigel Slater too. He has great receipes that really work. I like Delia but sometimes find that she puts in masses of ingredients that you then don't use again for months. Can be frustrating especially if just one of you.

oricella Wed 01-Dec-10 15:25:57

Nigel Slater's Kitchen Diaries might fit the bill - lots of quick suppers for 1 or 2, but also plenty of party recipes. Also nice to go through the seasons

MoonFaceMamaaaaargh Wed 01-Dec-10 15:29:49

How to eat by Nigella has lots of simple to execute ideas and principles rather than techniques and recipies...bit different iyswim

Have way too many books - but from what you've described I'd recommend the Jamie O book - How to Cook - has a good selection of stuff and a few guides on techniques etc.

HTE by Nigella is good but no pics which can be a bit off putting for some. Not sure ity would be best suited.

Thanks all- loads of good ideas there. Think I'll have a browse through waterstones this weekend to get a feel for which would suit him best.

have just ordered the Kitchen Diaries for myself and am looking forward to cooking seasonally!

littledawley Wed 01-Dec-10 15:45:10

Jo Pratt does a gorgeous book called 'In the mood for Entertaining' which I have used loads. Full of dinner party fare.

pointydog Wed 01-Dec-10 15:54:14

I love this one of nigel slater's.

V simple stuff but so tasty and quite a few of the recipes would make nice meals for informal entertaining too.

pointydog Wed 01-Dec-10 15:54:48

It covers food from a variery of countries too.

midnightsun Wed 01-Dec-10 15:58:54

Jamie Oliver's Ministry of Food is pretty good.

piprabbit Wed 01-Dec-10 16:02:03

How about this one, it was recently on radio 4 read by Leslie Phillips and was fantastic. Not quite what you are looking for, but may appeal.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 01-Dec-10 16:12:19

I'd second the Nigel Slater 30 minute Cook too. It focuses on meals for one or two people for the most part and is still quite foody. On the entertaining side again Jamie's 30 minute meals is good. And for real push-the-boat-out entertaining there's always Nigella's Feast.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now