Talk

Advanced search

Why do all the recipes I find on the internet at the moment

(19 Posts)
StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 13:28:24

talk about cups and include in the list of ingredients "jar of tomato based pasta sauce" or "Kraft spicy low fat dressing"? I am a slattern but even I wouldn't class that as cooking from scratch angry

sethstarkaddersmum Tue 30-Nov-10 13:29:30

I would hazard a guess you have been looking at American websites.
try searching UK instead of the world.

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 13:32:03

You are using American websites, I suspect.

I actually like the cup measurements and have bought myself a set of cups as a lot of my recipes are American ones.

I agree about the using of processed food - a lot of that around. Useless when you don't want to use a packet of cake mix.

BudaisintheZONE Tue 30-Nov-10 13:32:23

Agree! As soon as I saw the "Kraft" mention I thought it must be American sites!

Teh BBC Good Food website is good.

StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 13:32:59

well they all seem american then, strange. I can't find the one I wanted to do the other day Anyone got a recipe for a chicken & broccili tagliatelli?

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 13:36:59

I start by searching MN recipe section, then ask on here.

What are you wanting to do with the chicken?

I would cut the chicken into strips and fry, steam the broccoli, cook tagliatteli, drain , then bung together with a splash of white wine, some cream cheese and a bit of cream, herbs and seasonings.

Iklboo Tue 30-Nov-10 13:41:55

Not quite chicken & broccoli but v yummy...from Eat Yourself Thin & serves 2-3

Ingredients:

• Mushrooms
• 175g dried linguine/spaghetti
• 150g grated courgette
• 150ml low fat crème fraiche
• 100ml low fat Greek yoghurt
• 1 large free-range egg yolk
• 17g Parmesan cheese
• Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
• Salt & pepper
• 125g cold roast chicken, shredded
• Small bunch of fresh chives, snipped *

Method:

1. Heat a pan & spritz in a few spritzes of olive oil. Fry mushrooms then remove & set aside. Fry the grated courgette for a couple of minutes. Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil & cook pasta according to the instructions on the packet, but cook it for a minute or two less so it’s a little underdone.

2. Meanwhile mix together the crème fraiche, yoghurt, egg yolk, Parmesan, lemon zest, salt & pepper.

3. Drain the cooked pasta, leaving a few tablespoons of water in the bottom of the pan. Return the pan to a low heat and pour in the sauce.

4. Toss the pasta in the sauce, then add the roast chicken & chives, giving it all a good mix round till it’s evenly incorporated.

StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 13:48:46

thanks you two, think I will do a hybrisd of the two
<adds cream and white wine to shopping list>

MmeLindt Tue 30-Nov-10 13:51:17

Don't forget to take have a glass sip of the wine first, just to make sure it is not corked.

thumbwitch Tue 30-Nov-10 13:51:55

Could be Australian websites as well - they insist on using cups of stuff instead of weighing; but just to add to the fun the cup sizes are slightly different from the US standard.<sigh>

Glad you have a recipe - don't you check the BBC website or have they just not got what you're after?
A quick google using PAges for UK only brought this recipe up - there are several more for chicken & broccoli pasta bake.

GrumpyOldHorsewoman Tue 30-Nov-10 13:54:11

Tonight I will now be making Mme Lindt's chicken and broccoli pasta.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 16:24:30

thanks thumbwitch, no it was more a creamy/cheesy/winey sauce. It had almonds in

thumbwitch Tue 30-Nov-10 16:29:40

Found it!
Probably. It has weights as well as cup measures.

mugggletoeandwine Tue 30-Nov-10 16:33:56

That sounds quite nice, I may do a version of it using ground almonds as I have some to use up.

Stealth, I got cup measures in Poundland for American recipes.

StealthPolarBear Tue 30-Nov-10 18:04:01

thats it thanks!

mugggletoeandwine Thu 02-Dec-10 19:01:56

I tried it tonight, well a version of it.
I used cream, chicken stock and ground almonds instead of the listed as that's what I had in.

I'm wheat and dairy free and boring but it tasted good before the cream was added and without the pasta.

iTigress Thu 02-Dec-10 19:05:54

American recipes also love 'chicken broth' which I assumed was stock, but is actually tinned cream of chicken soup sad I mean, really? In say a pasta sauce or a casserole?

Also various forms of corn confused

iTigress Thu 02-Dec-10 19:06:50

I wish Tech would sort out poor confused 's hat.

hootiemcboob Fri 03-Dec-10 19:38:49

iTigress, chicken stock is in fact broth, not cream of chicken soup.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: