Talk

Advanced search

Biscuit recipe for use with cutter please?

(9 Posts)
Besom Mon 29-Nov-10 16:29:57

Looking at the picture of the Christmas tree biscuit cutter on the home page has made me remember that I bought some festive biscuit cutters last year.

Does anyone have a good recipe/tips for making biscuits with cutters?

TIA

jetgirl Mon 29-Nov-10 16:38:04

I love this recipe, they aren't too crumbly and totally delicious!

250g butter
140g icing sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg yolk
375g plain flour

Beat butter and sugar until fluffy; add vanilla and egg yolk and mix well; sift in flour and mix to form a firm dough. Wrap in cliing film and refrigerate for half an hour.
Heat oven to 190°C/375°F/gas 5.
Roll out dough to 3mm thick and cut out. Bake on lined baking sheets for 10-12 mins.

Not my recipe, from baking magic by kate shirazi!

They're great for decorating and hold their shape really well.

Besom Mon 29-Nov-10 17:49:48

That sounds great! Thanks so much jetgirl.

Justanormalmum Mon 29-Nov-10 22:13:05

Yes! I was just about to post this separately and might still do that, but I made these this avo with my son:

Ingredients:

- 1oz grated parmesan (Or any other hard cheese.)
- 2oz cold butter cut into cubes
- 3oz plain flour
- 1 egg of any size frankly
- a bit of extra flour for the cutting stage
- assorted cutters, shape dependant on age

Preheat the oven to Gas 4. Rub the butter into the flour, add the cheese and stir with a metal spoon. Then make a well in the centre, crack the egg into it and mix well with the same spoon until you have a slightly stick doughy mess.

Flour your work surface and spoon the whole lot onto it. Then add some flour to the top of the sticky dough. Flatten with your palm until about half a centimetre thick, then cut out shapes and pop onto a baking sheet lined with greaseproof paper. Pop in the oven on the top shelf and bake for about 10 mins until they look a bit bubbley. Remove from the oven and let sit on the tray for about 2 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Pics are here if you fancy a look

stealthsquiggle Mon 29-Nov-10 22:16:54

I use Nigella's butter biscuit one - works well.

canyou Mon 29-Nov-10 22:18:23

I use this recipe to make my trees
1 1/4 CUP OF BUTTER
2 CUPS OF SUGAR
2 LRGE EGGS
1 TSP VANILLA
5 CUPS FLOUR
2 TEASPOONS BAKING POWDER
1 TEASPOON SALT
1/4 CUP MILK
Cream sugar and butter, add eggs and Vanilla
sift dry ing
Add dry ing and milk mix well

This will make 2 trees
I add green food colour if the DC are making them so they dont have to ice them

canyou Mon 29-Nov-10 22:21:11

This Ginger one keeps for a week in the fridge

5 cups flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
2 tsp Ginger
2 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp ground cloves
1 cup marge
1 cup sugar
1 1/4 cup golden syrup
2 eggs

This makes 2 trees or 1 ginger bread house

TrillianAdAstra Mon 29-Nov-10 22:30:39

My favourite is actually cheesy things: 1 butter: 2 flour : 3 grated cheese, a bit of paprika or chilli powder and enough milk or water to bind.

Squidge it about a bit, roll out, cut into shapes, bake at 180 or 200 or whatever really.

(It's Nigella - they're actually fine with 1:2:2 but thought I should give you the 'real' measurements).

Besom Tue 30-Nov-10 07:04:00

Thanks everyone! I may have to make a variety now (just to see which is best). Actually I was thinking of giving some to the gp's/elderly neighbours for christmas if they turn out well so it would be good to have some sweet and some savoury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now