Talk

Advanced search

What do you add to the water when boiling ham?

(9 Posts)
BuntyPenfold Mon 29-Nov-10 10:37:36

I have added dark brown sugar, cloves, a little star anise, cinnamon and a spoonful of chili jam (because it was there).
Any more suggestions?

whenigrowup Mon 29-Nov-10 16:36:00

Those are new ones on me I usually paint my ham with those when I bake the ham (not wanting to doubt you but have you checked the recipe), the things I usually add to the water when boiling a ham are a few peppercorns, couple of bay leaves and maybe some chunks of celery and carrots just to flavour the water as this makes a nice stock to make soup with (I usually boil up the ham first, get rid of that water then put in fresh water with the added flavourings, etc).

tb Mon 29-Nov-10 18:03:20

Peppercorns, cloves, carrot, onion and bayleaves. Standard for stock, stew anything really.

Even have been known to put a clove and a bayleaf in an apple pie, but not the carrot and onion.

Owlingate Mon 29-Nov-10 18:04:12

coca cola and black pepper.

moragbellingham Mon 29-Nov-10 19:31:58

250ml of good dry cider, bay leaf, carrots, celery and onions.
Then when it's cooked, reduce the liquid down and add some butter mixed with flour to thicken.

TheButterflyEffect Mon 29-Nov-10 19:33:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

whenigrowup Tue 30-Nov-10 09:26:06

Irn bru? love it! I might give that a try!!

mycarscallednev Tue 30-Nov-10 18:16:52

Strong Cider and star anise, peppercorns,and chilli flakes. Makes great soup after with added fresh veggies and lentils.

aendr Tue 30-Nov-10 19:34:13

Coca cola and a red onion cut into 2 halves.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: