Talk

Advanced search

Easy peasy, one pot meal needed

(16 Posts)
Blatherskite Fri 26-Nov-10 20:18:26

We're going to Center Parcs on Monday. I usually take a pre-prepared and frozen meal with us which defrosts during the journey there and can be thrown in the oven while we're unpacking for a nice and easy, first night dinner.

It's usually a lasagne.

As my brother is intolerant to Wheat, Gluten, Eggs, Milk and Nuts, the lasagne has to be made with special lasagne sheets and cheese sauce and while edible, just isn't very nice IMO.

This year, I'd like to make something different but I'm struggling to find something everyone will eat.

On top of needing to be Wheat free, Gluten free, Egg Free, Milk free and Nut free, DB doesn't like fish or shellfish, I can't eat chilli and don't like curry or mashed potato and DH won't eat olives. Oh, and the recipe needs to be suitable for feeding to a 3 year old and possibly an 11 month old too!

Does anyone have a recipe that might fit please?

taffetacat Fri 26-Nov-10 20:28:22

I'd do steak and chips for the adults and baked beans on toast for the children. You're on holiday!

RJandA Fri 26-Nov-10 20:39:34

Yellow Chicken

Sweat onions and garlic
Add skinless chicken thighs (much cheaper to buy ones with skin on and skin them yourself!), brown them a bit.
Add turmeric, tin of chickpeas and lemon juice.
Top up with water, and either simmer on the hob or pop it in the oven until you're ready to eat.

We normally have it with rice or bulgar wheat, also nice with jacket potatoes. Nice with green veg or rocket / spinach type leaves, yoghurt and spicy pickles like you might have with Indian - lime pickle, Brinjal (aubergine) pickle etc etc but not if you don't like them, obviously!

CrispyTheCrisp Fri 26-Nov-10 20:41:56

Beef bourginonne? I can hunt out a recipe if you fancy it? I usually serve with jacket spuds but fine with rice too

Blatherskite Fri 26-Nov-10 21:36:05

I always over do steak. I'd be hovering over it in an attempt to get it right.

I need something I can set up at home, wrap up then just thrown in the oven when we reach Center Parcs.

Beef bourginonne looks good but looks like it might take too long to cook. We can't get into the villa till 3-ish and the children will be wanting to eat at 5.

I'm beginning to think Center parcs take-out might be an option

AitchTwoOh Fri 26-Nov-10 21:38:10

chickpea and chorizo stew? serve with crusty bread and butter. god, it's lush.

thesecondcoming Fri 26-Nov-10 21:41:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

taffetacat Fri 26-Nov-10 21:42:36

Take out - definitely.

I cook ALL the time, I love it. I, however, refuse to cook on holiday. Its your holiday too.

lizziemun Fri 26-Nov-10 21:44:04

Chicken stew, then serve with crusty bread and Jacket Potato.

Or any help here or here or here.

orienteerer Fri 26-Nov-10 21:44:52

I'm with Crispy - Boeuf Bourguignon, as you say you'll pre cook it at home. You could freeze it then it will travel well and be ready to re-heat on arrival. It only takes a few mins to heat in a pan.

AitchTwoOh Fri 26-Nov-10 21:48:03

i'm saying that about the stew, but really i would go for the takeout if i was on hols.

thesecondcoming Fri 26-Nov-10 21:59:52

LunaticFringe Fri 26-Nov-10 22:05:38

Blatherskite Sat 27-Nov-10 20:40:06

Nearly went for the Beef Bourguignon but then remembered that Mum doesn't like the taste of booze in food (and is bringing a risotto) and I'd have to leave the flour out, so went for a Nigella Spanish chicken thing that you just throw in the over and serve with salad.

I'm still open to the idea of slinging it in the fridge for another night and getting take out though grin

Thanks for all the recipes though. With two small children, easy dinners are always in demand in our house so I'll be trying them all

MeowyChristmasEveryone Mon 29-Nov-10 21:08:37

Ah, Blatherskite

You got there before me - that is the EXACT recipe I was just going to suggest. We've had it tonight, which was the second time, and we loved it just as much as the first time.

You really can just chuck it in the oven dish and leave it, no fuss, no mess, not much washing up! Win win win!!!

I hope you enjoy it.

Blatherskite Wed 01-Dec-10 20:00:29

It was nice. Would have been nicer if the Center Parcs oven had worked properly as then it would have taken an hour to cook not 2 and a half hours and might not have been so dry!! Definitely one to try again when we're home.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: