Talk

Advanced search

Roast beef with all the trimmings

(22 Posts)
ThatllDoPig Fri 26-Nov-10 15:46:14

What do people mean by trimmings?
Do people do cauliflower cheese with roast beef?
Presume horseradish sauce, or bread sauce, but hate both of those, should I do them for guests anyway?!
Other ideas?

MarkStretch Fri 26-Nov-10 15:49:28

Sauce, yes.

Yorkshire puddings, yes.

Cauliflower cheese, yum, yes.

ClaireDeLoon Fri 26-Nov-10 15:51:24

Definitely no to cauliflower cheese with any roast.

I would mean yorkshires, roasties, a decent gravy and some veggies. Would probably do roast parsnips as one of the veggies. Carrots, cabbage maybe.

nagynolonger Fri 26-Nov-10 15:54:24

Roast beef, roast pots, yorkshire puds, any veg you fancy, horseradish or english mustard, and gravy.

I would only serve bread sauce with turkey...if at all!

missmartha Fri 26-Nov-10 15:55:23

Agree with Claire, would add some decent English mustard too.

Although I love cauliflower cheese, I wouldn't serve it with a dish that has gravy.

That's just me though.

AMumInScotland Fri 26-Nov-10 15:57:59

Like ClaireDeLoon I would mean roast potatoes, yorkshires, gravy, and some form of veggies. Personally I can't abide horseradish but you could buy a tub of it if you think your guests might fancy it.

I'd love cauli cheese with roast beef, but whatever veggies you like would be fine. eg carrots and peas, roast carrots & parsnips, broccoli. Whatever really!

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Nov-10 15:59:23

My MIL always used to do cauli cheese with a roast - its OK so long as the sauce isn't too runny.

I'd do yorkshires, roast spuds and parsnips, then some veg which are nice with gravy - carrots and cabbage, maybe peas or green beans.

Get a pot each of horseradish and mustard if you've got guests.

smallwhitecat Fri 26-Nov-10 15:59:45

Message withdrawn

GregoryPeck Fri 26-Nov-10 16:05:21

Yorkshire pud and horseradish sauce with beef.

I would do roast potatoes, new potatoes or mash, brocolli, carrots, peas and gravy.

MIL always used to serve cauli cheese with a roast and it was lovely. CBA myself though, too lazy! Although if you made a lot then it would be an ideal Monday tea for not much effort....hmmmm

SeriousWispaHabit Fri 26-Nov-10 17:48:34

Rather than cauliflower cheese I always do cauliflower in onion or leek sauce. Not sure why but it goes really well and the onion sauce goes really well with roast lamb.

ThatllDoPig Fri 26-Nov-10 18:20:46

Oh, thanks heaps everyone. Lots of yum ideas.

What would you say is the perfect post roast pudding?

notcitrus Fri 26-Nov-10 18:40:24

Fruit crumble!
Mostly for being a great warm filler this time of year, and only taking a few mins to prepare, unlike the roast and all.

Roasts need real gravy made from the meat juices, too. I like carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, and frozen peas, plus big Yorkshire puds. And horseradish from a jar unless my parents bring their own homemade.

GrimmaTheNome Fri 26-Nov-10 19:36:15

Roast some onions with the meat - they make the gravy even nicer.

ThatllDoPig Fri 26-Nov-10 19:41:47

I know this sounds pathetic but I've never made my own gravy. (cheated with bisto for years) Do you just get meat juice from the roasting dish, and mix in cornflour? help me all you domestic goddi out there!

missmartha Fri 26-Nov-10 20:36:24

This how I make my gravy.

If it's a roast, there will be drippings and fat left in the pan when you lift out the joint/chicken/duck etc.

Drain of all but a table spoon or so of fat.

Put a table spoon of flour in pan with remaining fat and drippings and stirring over a low heat add water that the veg have been cooked in or steamed over, stirring all the time.

You can add water and stock cube or home made stock instead if you want.

The same method can be used to make gravy in a frying pan after sausages, chops or steaks etc. have been fried.

Ta-rah.

There are lots of other methods of course.

mummyshreddingnora Fri 26-Nov-10 20:46:58

a roast with all the trimmings to me is a big roast (rather than a bog standard) so would mean 4/5 veg - I love lots of variety of veg rather than big quantities... home done gravy / yorkies, roast pots and horseradish etc for guests (hate the stuff myself)

def second a crumble for pud!

overmydeadbody Fri 26-Nov-10 20:51:04

yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrots, broccoli, horseradish or english mustard, redcurrant jelly and proper gravy.

overmydeadbody Fri 26-Nov-10 20:56:22

Thatlldo you don't need cornflour, just normal white flour.

Using the pan from rouasting, with all the juices in it, heat over a low heat on hob, add a tablespoon of flour and whisk up (like when making a white sauce, you need flour and fat to thicken the sauce/gravy). To this roux you need to add liquid (veg water, stock, water) and some flavouring (salt, pepper) soy sauce, worcester sauce, a stock cube etc. Sometimes I add a glug of red wine, sometimes a teaspoon of honey, sometimes some mustard or horseradish. If the gravy is for sausages and mash I sautee loads of sliced onions and add them for onion gravy.

Mummy2Bookie Sun 28-Nov-10 17:25:46

Roast chicken, sage and onion stuffing, roast potatoes and veg, gravy, cranberry sauce and a nice light pudding for afters maybe fruit salad............bliss! smile

Ineedsomesleep Sun 28-Nov-10 17:27:56

Nobody gets cauliflower cheese with anything in our house, I cook and I don't like cheese. It goes a bit like this, you want cheese, you cook smile

ThatllDoPig Mon 29-Nov-10 17:51:36

Thanks all for ideas and inpiration. Just thought I'd tell you all it went magnificently, everyone was stuffed and happy!
deadbody I've copied down the gravy ideas as they sound good for next time! Thanks for posting everyone

Mummy2Bookie Tue 30-Nov-10 21:32:24

I thought everybody likes cheese grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: