Talk

Advanced search

At what age do kids not need snacks between meals?

(14 Posts)
Fiddledee Fri 26-Nov-10 13:40:45

I have two pre-schoolers who rarely eat alot in one go, even if I try to starve/distract them between meals. I've given up and feed them snacks (it feels constantly during the day). When shall I just say eat your dinner and there is nothing until the next meal? I try and do consistent snack times but I don't have very consisitent days!

Tikiinasantahat Fri 26-Nov-10 13:42:25

I think mine stopped grazing once they started school. They were too little to eat much in one sitting. How old are they ? Sounds very normal.

tomhardyismydh Fri 26-Nov-10 13:46:22

my dd grazes but also eats her meals generaly. but i make sure i only dish up what she can reasonably manage. However if she makes no effort with meal i do do nothing untill next meal. she is 4. she can have a rice cracker if she is distressed. also i limit how much she drinks before and with meal.

naturalbaby Fri 26-Nov-10 13:56:24

if they're not used to eating big meals then it's going to take a while to reduce snack size and build up meal size.

i always have a snack between meals so my kids rarely go from one meal to another with no snacks. they're so busy and active i really think they need it. if they're not eating much at a meal cause they snack too much then they just get a cup of milk and fruit/raisins if they're still not satisfied.

overmydeadbody Fri 26-Nov-10 20:59:01

Seriously?

I still have a snack between meals, and so does my DP, and I know for a fact if I do not eat regularly I get shaky and weak.

I tihnk little and often is better than three big meals a day.

Seona1973 Fri 26-Nov-10 21:29:40

mine are 4 and 7 and get snacks between meals - they tend to have fruit in the morning and savoury in the afternoon

Meglet Fri 26-Nov-10 21:31:51

I still eat snacks between meals. I'm famished if I go more than a couple of hours without something. Same as omdb, I get shaky and lightheaded without food.

My 4yo and 2yo have snacks between meals.

umf Fri 26-Nov-10 21:48:27

Supposed to be good for you to have more frequent smaller meals? As long as the snacks don't end up being junkier food than 'proper' meals - which I find they often do both for me and ds.

umf Fri 26-Nov-10 21:48:35

Supposed to be good for you to have more frequent smaller meals? As long as the snacks don't end up being junkier food than 'proper' meals - which I find they often do both for me and ds.

ppeatfruit Sun 28-Nov-10 08:48:45

I'm on the Paul Mckenna diet which is eating ONLY when you are hungry, stopping when you're full. I HAVE to eat more often and I've lost 5 kilos and still loosing!

ppeatfruit Sun 28-Nov-10 08:51:34

IMO overstuffing yr.self 3 times a day leads to obesity.

bigchris Sun 28-Nov-10 08:55:16

Even at school they have breakfast before school

fruit at mid morning break

dinner at school

snack at pick up time or as soon as they get home

and then tea at 5pm

as long as the snacks are healthy and not affecting their main meals it's fine

they're growing , they need the energy

Ineedsomesleep Sun 28-Nov-10 09:05:10

Well, I'm in my 40's and still snacking between meals.

Good luck with that one grin

sockmonkey Sun 28-Nov-10 09:15:05

I can't go more than a couple of hours between eating something.
I wouldn't worry about snacks and meals if they are young. The whole 3 meals a day thing stems from the industrial revolution, not any biological imperative.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now