Talk

Advanced search

How long will homemade peppermint creams keep for?

(12 Posts)
ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 25-Nov-10 19:33:39

Made with egg whites/ icing sugar.

I was wondering how long they would last for given that they contain raw egg white.

The ones in my house won't last long grinbut I'm planning on giving them as gifts. Also, should they be fridged?

thisisyesterday Thu 25-Nov-10 19:39:41

lol i asked the same thing earlier but no-one could tell me. that and fudge.

will watch with interest!

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 25-Nov-10 19:44:32

Also, how scary is using raw egg white. Are they "safe" to give to eg my 60 yr old dad?

debka Thu 25-Nov-10 19:54:25

The sugar will preserve them for a good while (vague...). I imagine they will go harder as they get older. Definitely don't fridge them, they'll go slimy. Not sure about egg white thing, I'd eat them, and I'm pg, but I eat anything! grin

debka Thu 25-Nov-10 19:55:02

Could eat some right now actually.... mmmmmm love peppermint creams....

taffetacat Thu 25-Nov-10 20:01:32

They will be fine for a few weeks in an airtight container. Package them up into cellophane bags/whatever you're using just before you give them away.

catinthehat2 Thu 25-Nov-10 20:04:40

I actually thought it was thisisyesterday trying her luck again when I saw this grin
You all KNOW the answer, I can't keep repeating myself.....

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 25-Nov-10 20:07:13

My DP has just run next door to tell MIL to take them out the fridge grin

cakeforbrains Thu 25-Nov-10 20:18:23

There's a recipe somewhere that uses the royal icing style icing sugar instead of egg white, if you'd prefer not to use egg white. I'll have a google ...

roundabout1 Tue 30-Nov-10 22:15:37

yes i found a recipe for them with royal icing sugar instead of egg white, think it was in the sainsburys little ones magazine. Let me know if you need it & i'll try & fish it out.

Rjsmummy Thu 11-Dec-14 17:42:45

They keep longer if made using Condensed Milk.

BaconAndAvocado Fri 12-Dec-14 14:12:56

Peppermint Creams!!!

I used to love making them as a wee one.

Anyone know of a good recipe?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now