Talk

Advanced search

What do I need to make soup from a chicken?

(5 Posts)
ASecretLemonadeDrinker Wed 24-Nov-10 10:06:56

I have enevr done it before but am buying a big expensive chicken so want my moneys worth grin How do I do it & what do I need? Thanks

SheWillBeLoved Wed 24-Nov-10 12:59:02

I cover the carcass with water and a chicken stock cube, add roughly chopped carrots, onion, celery (don't bother peeling anything), a bit of seasoning, and some peppercorns. Simmer on a low heat for 2-3 hours. Scoop any foamy crap off the top as and when needed. Once it tastes okay to you, strain everything off saving the stock, put it back onto the heat, add fresh veg, some carbs (barley is lovely in this), let it all cook, serve with massive hunks of crusty bread - voilà grin

frenchfancy Wed 24-Nov-10 13:29:22

You don't need the stock cube; you are essentially making chicken stock.

There are lots of different variations, depending on what flavours you like, but the method is as above.

If you have a pressure cooker the whole lot can be done in about 40 minutes.

winnybella Wed 24-Nov-10 13:39:22

What SheWillBeLoved said.

But I have to say that I use a stock made out of bones to make other soups ie lentil or leek and potato. It doesn't have enough flavour on it's own.

Now should you want to make a proper chicken soup, you need to use the chicken (whole or legs, wings etc). Cover with cold water,add carrots, onions (if you will brown the onion in its skin over the fire it will give a delicious flavour, if not, just putting one onion with the skin on will give the soup lovely golden colour), celery or leeks, peppercorns, thyme, salt and few allspice grains. Bring to boil and let simmer for and hour and a half (check the meat-whole chicken will take longer than thighs).You can add a stock cube if you wish.

Serve with homemade noodles,lots of fresh parsley and freshly ground pepper.

The meat that you will not serve in soup can be used for stir-fries, risottos etc.It will be very tender.

It's just a reverse method- delicious soup first, leftovers used for a couple of other meals.

Emmaroos Thu 25-Nov-10 12:10:58

Sometimes I remove the breasts and use them in stir fries etc then use the rest of the chicken for soup. Sometimes I poach the whole chicken and sometimes I just use the carcass after I have roasted a chicken. Add whatever you have for flavour, but usually a carrot an onion, celery, leeks, woody herbs a stalk of thyme is good, or a bayleaf. Never cabbage/broccoli as they give off a horrible sulpher taste if cooked too long.
Important steps are to boil for long enough at the slowest boil possible (tiny little bubbles coming to the surface, not a crazy rolling boil, and don't stir. You get all of the flavour, but the stock stays clearer.
when the meat has cooked through (whole chicken) and the stock has a good flavour take out the big pieces and strain through a sieve. Allow to cool and the fat will settle on the surface. Skim it off. Taste.
If it to be soup on its own without added flavours you may need to reduce the stock by boiling it for a while at this stage (after straining and skimming) to make the flavour stronger.

The stock can be the basis of a clear asian soup (slice some ginger, garlic and chilli and throw in with noodles and coriander and some bits of chicken), a more traditional chicken and vegetable soup (carrots, onions, celery, potato, leeks, barley, rice or small soup pasta and anything else you have to hand) or a cream of chicken soup.. The possibilities are endless!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: