Talk

Advanced search

Foodie forums for my mum

(14 Posts)
Scratchitt Tue 23-Nov-10 19:28:47

I just can't, can't let her join Mumsnet but posted for her twice now and don't want her to find me here! Any suggestions for a good foodies food and recipes forum she'd enjoy and could join? Like Mumsent ... just not Mumsnet!

She's a genuinely wonderful cook, reads ferociously and has a library of cooker and recipe books. She cooks constantly and it's her deep, deep passion. She's never happier than when thinking about or planning food. Would like somewhere like Mumsnet so when she has a crisis in a recipe or is looking for inspiration she can talk to similar, thoughtful but passionate women. She's 74.

OP’s posts: |
SofaQueen Tue 23-Nov-10 19:35:33

-e-gullet
-Chowhound
-Mouthfuls

Of those three, e-gullet is the most comprehensive. However, all three tend to be very America focused. There are loads of food blogs I follow focused on cooking rather than restaurant going - would she also be interested in them? Also, what is her particular food interest (local, ethnic, vegetarian, organic....)

catinthehat2 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:43:14

Check out this site which is very good in itself (by friend of a MNer can't remember who sorry). THe blogger has what looks like a very comprehensive list of foodie sites in her blog roll.

catinthehat2 Tue 23-Nov-10 19:43:53

.. continued like this

Scratchitt Tue 23-Nov-10 20:29:27

Thank you will look them all up. Def not about restaurants, she reads reviews etc but parents don't go out anywhere that would appear in the papers very often. S

he's just full on into what they eat every day. She's on the local farmer's market committee, treasurer or similar. So she likes organic, local and cooks predominantly european food I'd say. That would include north african though and middle-eastern, not partic into curries and thai etc but she does cook with chili. She really likes all the morocan stuff including Moro cook book. She bothers as much about a side dish, as she does about mains or starters and loves cooking puddings and cakes etc. She russles up a souffle without batting an eyelid and just has a real feel for food. Makes her own pastry, cakes, stock, constantly. She freezes, Her favourite cooks are probably Jane Grigson, Nigel Slater, Elizabeth David.Slater and David probably describe her food best. Just think she'd enjoy somewhere to help with a crisis and also enjoy suggesting to fellow postes what they might do with green beans today etc.

SofaQueen Tue 23-Nov-10 21:45:31

Oh wow! My dream mum! I started cooking because my mum was completely useless ( would somehow make frozen pizza which were burnt on top and still frozen at the bottom).

Leiths culinaria is fantastic. If you sign up with them, you get a weekly roundup of different recipes and articles, usually based on a particular theme. I follow the "eat like a girl" blog, "smitten kitchen" blog, "eggsonsunday", and cooking with Amy. Some other good blogs (which seem to have gone down the tubes a bit since the bloggers got book deals) are chocolate and zucchini and ChezPim. There is another fantastic blog which I need to get from my laptop by a Frenchwoman in Boston which is great for recipes (seasonal, organic, and multiple ethnic).

Chocolate and zucchini has a member forum so she can post there, as well as following Clothide.

bugsonbuns Wed 24-Nov-10 13:38:03

ourlifeinthekitchen.com/

Quite like this blog...very good food eye candy!

I think Deliaonline, Jamie O website and BBC Good Food magazine all have forums so she could look there.

Maria2007loveshersleep Wed 24-Nov-10 18:32:11

Blogs are good (smitten kitchen is fantastic, I follow it too). But as for forums, well I don't know any but in sure there must be some. MN is ideal though ;)

by the way your mum sounds fabulous!

Scratchitt Thu 25-Nov-10 18:19:58

Kind words from you all re my mum, she would be thrilled if only i let her look at Mumsnet! Thuogh she may have googled and found it by now. Time for a name change!

Sofa do you mean this one http://leitesculinaria.com/ Really is forums I@m after rather than blogs, though some of the above look wonderful. Just feel like the interactive element of Forums might get her going and intrigue her.

missmartha Thu 25-Nov-10 20:51:25

This is good www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbfood/NF2670471

Lots of expertise too.

SofaQueen Fri 26-Nov-10 13:44:10

yes, it is Leite's...I was getting my thoughts garbled with Leiths Cookery School!

Ivywats Sat 25-Apr-20 07:49:42

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

handbagsatdawn33 Sat 25-Apr-20 12:12:13

eatyourbooks.com

As well as being able to list your books & search for recipes either in your own library or online, there are forums for asking questions, helping etc.
It's also brilliant for finding a use for that unusual ingredient lurking at the back of the cupboard/fridge before it goes off.

Crimsonnightlotus Sat 25-Apr-20 20:42:53

There's Cooking sub on reddit. It's great.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »