Talk

Advanced search

Vegan and wheat free starter - help needed!

(8 Posts)
hollyhobbie Mon 22-Nov-10 16:56:43

Off to the family at Christmas, and I said we'd make the starter, but it has to cater for vegan/wheat free people, as well as appealing to fussy children. Why, why did I volunteer?

I've tried Googling, but so far have only found vegan or wheat free ideas.

Please, if anyone has any suggestions, I'd be so grateful.

hollyhobbie Mon 22-Nov-10 23:07:26

Obviously everyone has as much of a clue as I do grin

MissAnneElk Mon 22-Nov-10 23:14:47

Soup? I know it's not very exciting but it's very easy to do vegan and wheat free.
Garlic mushrooms (use Pure spread for the garlic butter) possibly not the best choice for fussy children though.
Houmous and crudités.

ToothpasteMakesMeGag Mon 22-Nov-10 23:16:05

Roasted butternut squash with risotto.

Potato rosti with a choice of toppings - eg roasted veg, smoked salmon, cream cheese

Roasted red peppers stuffed with spicy/herby rice

Dark rye bread fingers topped with a selection of things, some vegan, some child-friendly

Soup - curried parsnip is seasonal and if you puree it in a blender it doesnt need cream stirring in

Chances are the kids wont want a starter anyway, mine are always happy with some carrot sticks and dive straight into the roast grin

hollyhobbie Tue 23-Nov-10 18:36:41

Thanks all, some good ideas there. Soup is good, but I think the idea of crudités is probably the most practical.

BikeRunSki Tue 23-Nov-10 18:40:38

melon

hollyhobbie Mon 29-Nov-10 22:34:29

ah, good old melon, it wouldn't be a traditional family Christmas without it really grin

tethersjinglebellend Mon 29-Nov-10 22:42:07

I would make a winter salad- just omit the blue cheese.

I made it as a starter for four meat eaters last year and it went down a treat. Nice and light before a full meal. Not sure about fussy kids though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now