Talk

Advanced search

jazzing up toad in the hole

(9 Posts)
eatyourveg Mon 22-Nov-10 16:45:06

I feel like doing toad in the hole tonight and have never done it before. My mum used to put something in it to jazz it up, seem to think it might have been apples but it doesn't sound right.

Anyone got any ideas on how to jazz it up?

mosschops30 Mon 22-Nov-10 16:47:22

I make Gino D'Campo's one

cook your sausgaes in a bit of oil (pork and apple are best)
Add 3 red onions and rosemary
Cook until soft
Pour over batter
Cook in oven for 28 minutes

Its lush smile

monkey9237 Mon 22-Nov-10 16:48:20

mustard or a bit of dry/powder sage and onion mix in the flour? fried onions in the batter? I've never made it myself, can you tell?! ale or beer in the batter? I'll stop now...

mrspear Mon 22-Nov-10 16:54:07

Well a bit late but always choose different sausages in the butchers plus i do as monkey does and do the mustard or dried sage / onion in the batter. I hear ale or sparkling water in the batter is good too.

eatyourveg Mon 22-Nov-10 18:29:13

In the oven now with mustard and onion in the batter (didn't have sage) one end has lincolnshire veggie sausages, the other just bog standard pork chipolatas. Fingers crossed they don't all turn their noses up at it.

thanks for the suggestions

OnlyWantsOne Mon 22-Nov-10 18:31:14

When I do mine I use a red onion and oil and sausauges, cook for a bit then put batter in when oil really hot to make the "hole" crunchy

taffetacat Mon 22-Nov-10 18:39:40

for the next time, put quartered red onions and sage leaves in once the batter is poured in.

also an onion gravy, fry onion slowly in butter for 20 mins until sticky, add tbspn plain flour, add a tin of luxury beef consomme and bubble for 5 minutes. The most divine onion gravy.

eatyourveg Mon 22-Nov-10 22:01:11

Thanks - it got a mixed verdict ds 1 said "soright" ds2 " mmm I think I like sausage flavour custard tart" ds3 "next time I'll give it a miss" and dh just said he was going to have something else instead but might give it a go if I made it with proper sausages next time.

JetLi Tue 23-Nov-10 18:37:50

My 1970's Mum used to put a tablespoon of paxo stuffing mix - just the basic dried stuff - into the batter. That was always nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now