Talk

Advanced search

If I make chocolate brownies with Vitalite...

(11 Posts)
SpeedyGonzalez Sun 21-Nov-10 21:42:44

...will it kill them? I need to make some dairy-free goodies.

chatee Sun 21-Nov-10 21:45:43

have made gingerbread,biscuits and brownies with vitalite-has a slightly different taste and texture but dairy free child wolfs them all down gratefully and as long as other family members do not realise it has been baked with vitalite they also eat it without complaint!

SpeedyGonzalez Sun 21-Nov-10 21:54:18

Fabulous, thank you! I too was counting on not letting others know...What they don't know won't hurt them!

ppeatfruit Mon 22-Nov-10 11:00:19

I make everything dairy free i use the 'melt in saucepan method with rice bran oil' it makes gorgeous brownies and gingerbread 'cos the choc, honey etc. stops them from being crumbly.

ppeatfruit Mon 22-Nov-10 11:02:26

I don't use the dairy free spreads 'cos i hate palm oil and it's in everything!

missmartha Mon 22-Nov-10 11:41:27

I only ever use butter.

Palm oil is the Devil's plaything and should be banned.

I am small and have perfectly normal cholesterol levels, butter, like every thing else, is fine used in moderation.

Synthetic stuff is vile.

ppeatfruit Mon 22-Nov-10 15:20:10

I get an allergic reaction from butter otherwise i would use in preference to palm oil.

SpeedyGonzalez Mon 22-Nov-10 19:18:33

Well I grew up eating palm oil as it's used extensively where my family originates from. So I like it. But I've also been taught how to choose the proper stuff, rather than the flaccid-looking pale crap you get in the ethnic section of Sainsbos.

Never heard of rice bran oil, do you have to go to'proper health food shops for it (ie not Holl&Barr)?. I presume you'd need a whole new recipe if you're using that, though? At least with margarine you can substitute it directly in place of butter.

ppeatfruit Tue 23-Nov-10 13:31:39

No speedy you can get it in Sainsbos and it's cheap as i said I use it in place of melted butter you know the 'melt in a saucepan recipes'?

SpeedyGonzalez Thu 25-Nov-10 21:15:45

Fabulous! Always looking for cooking tips! grin

pointydog Thu 25-Nov-10 21:26:36

I used vitalite in baking when I had to and it all tasted very nice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now