Talk

Advanced search

Way to roast chicken breasts to keep the moisture in?

(15 Posts)
mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 14:39:18

I've got a couple of chicken breasts, skin on (and I love the skin kept on and crisped) but whenever I roast them they tend to dry out a bit.

I know it's better to do a whole chicken for this reason but there are only two of us eating it so there's no point.

Any ideas on tricks to stop them drying out but without adding any sauces as I like just plain roast chicken.

mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 17:08:07

Help! This is urgent now so anyone with an answer please let me know.

RealityBomb Sun 21-Nov-10 17:09:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Gay40 Sun 21-Nov-10 17:09:21

Wrap in bacon, then just crisp them up last thing

Put them in a lidded roasting tin with a bit of water, then crisp at the last minute

collision Sun 21-Nov-10 17:09:55

I brown mine and then roast them in an ovenproof dish with water in it.

The juices in the chicken go into the water and then I thicken it and serve with the chicken.

For crispy skin you could quickly pan fry the top of the chicken again.

mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 17:12:45

Or grill it maybe to crisp up the skin at the end?

nikki1978 Sun 21-Nov-10 17:14:40

I find the best way to cook them is to poach them in water and some white wine. Far more succulent that way.

oxocube Sun 21-Nov-10 17:18:49

Stuff something fatty (garlic butter or cheese for example) under the skin. Or cook in foil with a bit of stock/wine then crisp the skin under a hot grill or in a hot oven at the end.

mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 17:23:40

OK I like the sound of your method Collision. Could I grill it maybe to crisp up the skin at the end instead of fry?

So I just add a little water to a roasting tin, roast them (for how long?) and then grill them at the end just to crisp them up?

mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 17:31:19

Definitely need to know how long to poach them in stock/ water for before grilling them just to crisp the skin please.

oxocube Sun 21-Nov-10 17:33:12

For average sized chicken breasts, I would poach for about 15 minutes with a lid on the pan to keep the steam in. I usually use my frying pan with a lid

oxocube Sun 21-Nov-10 17:34:34

I also keep the heat pretty low once the water is hot - keep the water at a simmer rather than boiling. Sorry if that is too obvious.

mychatnickname Sun 21-Nov-10 17:44:44

Can I not poach them in the oven?

oxocube Sun 21-Nov-10 18:06:15

Sure - again, I would cover with foil to keep in the moisture. Maybe 15-20 mins at 180 deg C.

mychatnickname Mon 22-Nov-10 09:27:25

Thanks all. Turned out well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now