Talk

Advanced search

Elderberry Jelly Failure

(4 Posts)
Umami Sun 21-Nov-10 10:45:41

So, last year's effort set into a beautiful, gently quivering jelly. This year, having done everything exactly the same, I have nothing but a dozen jars of elderberry syrup. Initially I just boiled it up as normal, with lemon juice, and the seeds and membranes of the lemons for pectin. When this did not work I reboiled it with a bottle of commercial pectin, and still no set.

Is it worth another go? More pectin? Dilute and top up with jam sugar? Re-boil with another jelly that I know sets well (have several jars of apple jelly that I'll never use)? Or resign myself to finding something to do with several jars of elderberry syrup?

SuePurblybiltByElves Sun 21-Nov-10 12:24:57

I have re-boiled jam but never jelly. It may go cloudy? Apple will certainly help it set but if you've tried commercial pectin already, I don't know if something is wrong chemically and it just isn't going to set? Some varietes of elder just aren't good, is it a new tree?

Anyway, embrace the syrup. Crepes, ice cream, as Elderberry Kir, with Stilton, as a layer in a posh Christmas trifle. Yum.

Umami Sun 21-Nov-10 14:09:04

No, same trees as last year. I'm giving it a go with the apple jelly, but I'm sure all this re-heating will have knackered the flavour entirely!

Jarring it up imminently...

ppeatfruit Sun 21-Nov-10 15:53:31

Umami I made elderberry syrup last year and kept in the fridge as a sore throat and cold remedy (I used fructose for a sweetener).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now