Talk

Advanced search

Slow cookers

(7 Posts)
soozze Sat 20-Nov-10 16:59:14

I'm using mine for the first time. Does all the food need to be covered in liquid for it to work? Some of the lamb isn't atm.

dreamingofsun Sat 20-Nov-10 17:14:42

if its not covered i would turn it periodically (so its in liquid some of the time) or it will go dry.

soozze Sat 20-Nov-10 17:26:40

Thank you ! I've removed one of bits of lamb so now the others only have a little bit poking out of the liquid. I guess it will be okay if a little bit is just dry. I was worried it wouldn't cook properly?

I'm worried about opening the lid as I just read it increases the cooking time, and I've already opened it a fair few times to have a stir.

We have friends coming over and I was already cutting it a bit fine. A really silly day to try it for the first time, we may well be getting a takeaway !

soozze Sat 20-Nov-10 17:29:50

Actually if it doesn't cook in time, could I just finish it off in the oven? How long would that take?

Sorry for all the questions. It would be such a shame to need a takeaway and then have all this as leftovers for tomorrow.

Ilythia Sat 20-Nov-10 17:47:39

It normally takes 3 times as long to cook something ina slowcooker. What time are you planning on eating?

I don't always add liquid, the heat can cook it well enough.

soozze Sat 20-Nov-10 17:57:52

We are planning on eating at 8:30 ish. Thanks, it's reassuring that you don't always use liquid. Hopefully it will be ok, it's starting to smell really nice anyway

Ilythia Sat 20-Nov-10 18:02:48

Oh that's the best thing about slowcookers, the way the hosue fills with lovely food smells! I love coming home from work to a dark house and the smell of a slowcooked chicken, mmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now