Talk

Advanced search

Bestest easiest chicken pie....

(4 Posts)
pugh Sat 20-Nov-10 11:27:26

If it's out there can I have it?

I have a whole chicken in slow cooker and puff pastry in fridge.

I seem to remember a variety of pies: from adding evaporated milk to cream of chicken soup and topping with cornflakes??

Hope to hear from all soon.

frenchfancy Sat 20-Nov-10 16:10:21

Make up a thck bechamel, then thin it down abit with the chicken juices. Add seasoning. Chop up chicken meat. Add some veg - I like peas or sweetcorn. Put pastry on. Cook, about 30 mins 180C.

I do mine with shortcrust, with pastry underneath as well as on top.

teenyweenytadpole Sat 20-Nov-10 16:26:46

I sweat some finely chopped leeks and quartered button mushrooms in butter with a little garlic. Then I make a normal white sauce i.e butter and flour, cook, then slowly whisk in milk. I never measure, just about a tablespoon of milk, same of flour, then milk until it looks about enough! You could add some herbs if you wanted but I just season with salt and pepper, then add the cold, cooked chopped up chicken (I use a mix of leg and breast meat cut in fairly chunky pieces) and the leek/onion mixture. I think the tinned soup mixtures are too salty, personally, but a bit of cream or even cream cheese stirred in would probably be okay, you're aiming for a thickish sauce but not too thick, there has to be some moisture in the finished pie. Put it in a pie dish, whack the pastry on top, stick it in the oven for about 20 mins, serve with green veg and something like new potatoes or mash.

pugh Fri 03-Dec-10 12:22:02

Forgot to say thank you for suggestions. WOrked a treat! Used juices from the slow cooker and was a lovely rich white sauce! Scrummy!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: