Talk

Advanced search

Anyone else always set the grill on fire when cooking sausages?

(19 Posts)
PrettyCandles Thu 18-Nov-10 17:14:20

I've done it twice in the last ten minutes!

Yet I generally manage to set it on fire without burning the sausages grin

Furball Fri 19-Nov-10 07:39:17

I do mine in the oven - daren't even risk turning the grill on grin

Rollmops Fri 19-Nov-10 09:51:59

Oven here as well.

blondiemermaid Fri 19-Nov-10 09:57:41

anything done in the grill is charcoal flame grilled grin

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Nov-10 10:37:19

But baked sausages are never nearly as nice as grilled or fried (unless they're Toad-in-the-Hole!).

LivinInThe80s Fri 19-Nov-10 10:39:11

I've given up grilling anything - I usually set the smoke alarm off within about 10 seconds! I fry sausages, chops etc, using minimal oil and draining it all off after.

madrush Fri 19-Nov-10 10:43:10

Whatever I grill always sets off the smoke alarm, so I baked sausages last night.

The smoke alarm went off when I opened the door.

Maybe it's not so much the sausages as the disgusting state of my oven? Can't be.

You're right, they weren't so nice as grilled smile

mrsoliverramsay Fri 19-Nov-10 11:53:17

I'm scared of my grill

minipie Fri 19-Nov-10 12:02:41

Erm, I've never set the grill on fire, and I use it all the time.

Are you putting the meat too close to the grill (so the fat splashes onto the grill and smokes/burns?)

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Nov-10 18:14:17

I have no choice where I put the grill pan, there's only one level. It&s definitely the fat catching, not the sausages themselves, but what can I do about that?

minipie Fri 19-Nov-10 19:40:13

hmm if there's only one level that doesn't give you much control. can you adjust grill temp or not?

otherwise, maybe prick the sausages loads so the fat can run out easily rather than spitting upwards? and empty the grill pan of fat once or twice during cooking. might work, might not... if not, enjoy that flame grilled taste?!

ThePinkFlamingo Fri 19-Nov-10 21:58:13

The best way to do sausages is to microwave them for about 90 secs then put them in a hot frying pan for about a minute to brown them up

ChasingSquirrels Fri 19-Nov-10 22:00:39

put some water in the grill pan - the fat drips down into the water and floats on the top rather than being reignited by the heat.

PrettyCandles Fri 19-Nov-10 22:15:45

The fat catches when it squirts out of the sausages upwards at the gas flames. I've tried pricking the sausages on only one side, but it doesn't help because I still have to rotate them, so the holes face the flames at some point.

I can't turn the gas down much because then only the outermost (or is it the innermost?) sausages cook.

I've never heard the mcrowaving tip before - I shall try it. 90sec is for how many sausages and what power oven? Our grill is an irritating, primitive, H&S hazard, but our microwave is a blow-your-socks-off 1000W combi-everything.

ChasingSquirrels Fri 19-Nov-10 22:26:01

have you tried the water? It really worked for me (although I just oven cook now).

PrettyCandles Sat 20-Nov-10 00:31:19

No, I haven't. But then we haven't had sausages since yesterday grin. But I don't see how it would help. I've looked inside the grill while it's on fire, and the sausages were like little flame-throwers. It was quite clearly the fat squirting out of the sausages, not the fat in the grill pan beneath, that was on fire.

ComingDownTheChimmley Sat 20-Nov-10 00:40:54

yes I have had sausage flambe more than once

I have even BLOWN OUT the flames licking the outside of the grille

<proud>

Bloodymary Mon 22-Nov-10 10:03:55

I do sausages in my george forman grill.
Possibly would work to well with really fat ones, but chipolatas/medium work a treat.

Bloodymary Mon 22-Nov-10 10:59:52

would NOT work to well

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: