Talk

Advanced search

If I list the ingredients for this soup...can you tell me how to make it?!

(10 Posts)
CandlestickMaker Thu 18-Nov-10 15:42:08

I'm strictly a by-recipe-cook. Can't deviate or create my own meals. Good Food online provides all our meals grin.

DS2 is a veg a phobe and Will Not eat veg (or fruit for that matter), however I have just dicovered that he loves Covent Garden Minestone soup, laps it up and asked for seconds, (this is a shock moment and I sat there like shock that watching him chow down!)

But... it's got loads of salt in it, far to much for a 20mo to consume in one meal (probably too much for the entire day), so I'm hoping to recreate it.

Here's the ingredients (I haven't a clue where to start...maybe by softening the onions?!)

Water, tomatoes (27%), carrots, potatoes, courgettes, onions, red peppers, tomato paste, celery, cannellini beans (2.6%), pinto beans (1.8%), pasta (1.4%) (durum wheat semolina) olive oil, basil, parsley, garlic, salt, sugar, oregano, cracked black pepper

TIA!!

DrSpechemin Thu 18-Nov-10 15:46:23

fry off the onions, garlic and celery.
then add the rest of the veg.
add tinned tomatoes and seasoning
you could also add some salt free stock if you've got some.
then add the beans and pasta and simmer for 15 mins or so.
add the herbs at the end if they're fresh - add them in the middle if they're dried.

DrSpechemin Thu 18-Nov-10 15:47:43

should have said add water if you haven't got salt free stock

CandlestickMaker Thu 18-Nov-10 15:50:31

Thank you smile

What about the tomato paste?

DrSpechemin Thu 18-Nov-10 15:51:50

Erm - add the tomato puree at the same time as the tinned tomatoes and water/stock

CandlestickMaker Thu 18-Nov-10 16:04:47

What about quantities?

<really am useless!>

DrSpechemin Thu 18-Nov-10 16:10:29

ok
One onion
couple of garlic cloves
1 stick of celery
1 of each of the vegetables (you'll need to chop/cube them quite small)
2 tins of tomatoes
pint of water/stock
tin of each beans
couple of handfuls of pasta
couple of tbsp's puree

that should make about 8 portions which you can freeze

CandlestickMaker Thu 18-Nov-10 16:36:38

Thank you so much! I feel very inadequate now! grin

coatgate Thu 18-Nov-10 16:39:04

Look up Delia's minestrone soup on line. You don't need to follow it, but it does give timings for sweating the veg etc.

DrSpechemin Thu 18-Nov-10 16:41:10

Actually upon reflection - a pint of water will be too much I think - just fill up the tomato tin with water and use that amount...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now