Talk

Advanced search

Can I substitute ox kidney for lamb kidney?

(7 Posts)
JetSetWilly Thu 18-Nov-10 12:36:12

or is this a bad idea (for a steak and kidney pie) i.e. is the taste too earthy etc

if I can substitute should I do anything differently?

tia

MaryMungo Thu 18-Nov-10 13:10:00

Ox kidney will be much stronger tasting than lamb's kidney. If you can't get veal kidney, your only options are to soak it in whole milk all day and hope for the best, or substitute parsnip or more potato.

JetSetWilly Thu 18-Nov-10 13:42:12

Oh dear this is what dp said, he reckons I should use half the amount. I've already bought it so shall I just soak it in milk and use a little less? Thanks mary

MaryMungo Thu 18-Nov-10 14:18:18

Soak it in milk after you've cleaned and chopped the kidneys, 2-8 hours, as long as you have. Rinse them with water and give them a sniff (or have DP do it). If you have worked with lamb kidney's in the past, you can judge whether to use them all or half.

Ox kidney is actually the traditional offal to use, it's just a bit full on for people not used to it grin

JetSetWilly Thu 18-Nov-10 15:08:04

Thanks so much Mary appreciate it. Will def be getting dp to smell it!!! Going to start preparing dinner now so I guess they will have about 2 hours in milk. Haven't used ox or lamb to be honest I hope it worth the trouble!

MaryMungo Fri 19-Nov-10 21:11:42

Did it come out well? I've got the urge to make steak and kidney pie now. With some stilton crumbled under the top crust. Mmmmm....

JetSetWilly Fri 19-Nov-10 22:55:15

Hi Mary, was gonna reply back with an update! Well yes it was very yummy (says she who picked out the kidney because she doesn't eat it).

DP loved it. The ox kidney didn't seem to strong at all, I soaked it in milk like you said although it only had about two hours. The proportions were 700gms braising steak to 200gms kidney. We had puff pastry on top (shop bought blush)

Thanks for tour help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now