Talk

Advanced search

Making fish pie more tasty?

(36 Posts)
SGertie Tue 16-Nov-10 17:01:05

I made fish pie for the dc and a separate one for dh and me. The dc have just eaten and enjoyed it but I had a taste and found it a bit bland.
I poached salmon and haddock in milk and bay leaf, used the milk to make cheese sauce. Added boiled egg. Topped with mashed potato and sweet potato with grated cheese topping
Any ideas how I can improve it before cooking ours later?

Ragwort Tue 16-Nov-10 17:02:49

Sorry, can't really help - I find fish pie is always incredibly bland ......... it's one of my DH's favourites though. Loads of grated cheese on top plus a large glass of wine might help grin.

escorchio Tue 16-Nov-10 17:04:29

some capers, or anchovies maybe?

saythatagain Tue 16-Nov-10 17:05:48

Deffo capers. Do you use smoked haddock and also a string cheese? <dribbles>

saythatagain Tue 16-Nov-10 17:06:23

That should read strong cheese!!!!

scurryfunge Tue 16-Nov-10 17:06:57

Mature cheddar will add more of a flavour. Lots of pepper and use smoked haddock.

Ragwort Tue 16-Nov-10 17:07:04

saythatagain - thought you meant cheese strings for a horrible moment !

frenchfancy Tue 16-Nov-10 17:08:50

Bit of smoked haddock and some mustard.

EdgarAirbombPoe Tue 16-Nov-10 17:09:46

starting from scratch.. use smoked fish!

at this point - seasoning. salt & pepper.

saythatagain Tue 16-Nov-10 17:10:03

Oh the shame! No, deffo strong cheese!!!

SGertie Tue 16-Nov-10 17:11:34

I didn't have any smoked fish in, that's where I went wrong! Capers may do the trick (and a large glass of wine or 2, good idea Ragwort) I will also add extra cheese - of the non cheese string variety grin

SGertie Tue 16-Nov-10 17:13:46

Not starting from scratch as all made ready to assemble. Just looked for capers but we don't have any. Would stirring mustard powder in help? Sun dried tomatoes?

cestlavie Tue 16-Nov-10 17:19:00

Always include a generous dollop of Dijon mustard and lemon juice in mine. Definitely agree with the smoked haddock though. Maybe also any frozen prawns if you've got some to add some texture.

SGertie Tue 16-Nov-10 19:22:27

Thanks all. Have stirred in some mustard and have lemon edges to serve so fingers crossed.

jonicomelately Tue 16-Nov-10 19:23:49

You need to dissolve a fish stock cube into the sauce (I use creme frais). It's lovely.

seeker Tue 16-Nov-10 19:26:04

A mix of smoked and white fish and some anchovies. And LOADS of parsley.

I don't use cheese though!

LadyInPink Tue 16-Nov-10 19:29:29

I fry up some leeks which give a gorgeous flavour and mix with the fish and white sauce but if you have a tin of lobstor bisque pop that in as that gives a lovely flavour.

anoknockingmyhousedown Tue 16-Nov-10 19:34:07

You need a smoked fish, plain fish and it is a bit dull.

herbs, leeks, lemon, dijon (as someone else said).

But smoked fish is absolutely a must I am afraid....

BollocksToThis Tue 16-Nov-10 19:39:13

I don't use cheese. Try parsley, chopped hard boiled eggs and wedges of tomato. And plenty seasoning.

PrettyCandles Tue 16-Nov-10 19:48:57

Before you make the cheese sauce finely chop a leek and fry/sweat it in olive oil/butter, with garlic. Add it to the cheese sauce with 6 peppercorns/plenty of freshly-ground black pepper, a teaspoon of tarragon (much more if fresh) and a tablespoonful of drained capers.

Then continue as normal.

PrettyCandles Tue 16-Nov-10 19:50:35

Whoops! Tablespoonful of capers is for a family-size fish pie - for a two-person pie only use a teaspoonful.

bacon Tue 16-Nov-10 21:26:05

50/50 mix of cheddar and parmasan cheese defo improves the depth of flavour. Zest of half a lemon and a good squeeze too.

Smoked fish and any mix of fish - king prawns always great addition.

I use the Jamie Oliver receipe - he just uses cream and and fish cooks in the cream while in the oven so no messing.

BlueEyeshadow Tue 16-Nov-10 21:57:30

Smoked fish, white fish, salmon, king prawns and hard boiled eggs. Cheese on top. Served with a fruity white wine and ketchup. Don't know why, but there has to be ketchup.

BecauseImWorthIt Tue 16-Nov-10 22:00:11

Have you got any smoked bacon? You could always add that to give the smokey taste. Dice it and fry it gently before you add it.

I also add lemon juice and use boiled eggs.

BoffinMum Tue 16-Nov-10 22:02:09

Tarragon is good.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: