Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for a really nice hamper

(12 Posts)
funtimewincies Mon 15-Nov-10 19:43:12

Dh and I would like to give/send a really nice hamper to his dad and stepmum for Christmas. They've had a really rough year as dh's stepmum has been diagnosed with a major illness, meaning lots of medication and the loss of most of their interests and hobbies.

She's not got a big appetite at the moment and cannot drink, so we thought that some really nice little treats would be suitable.

Can anyone recommend a company, as I don't really want to just pluck one off the internet. The M&S and John Lewis ones look a bit too rich/boozy or just not very exciting for the price.

Any thoughts would be very gratefully received smile.

iTigress Mon 15-Nov-10 19:54:12

Fortnum and Mason

and send me one

sandyballs Tue 16-Nov-10 10:38:06

Make one, I did this for in laws last year. Bought a lovely cheap wicker basket in a hardware store, and filled it with special bits - nice crackers, biscuits, wine, soft drinks, olives, special marmalades/jams, all sorts of stuff at a fraction of the price of a ready made one and you can tailor it to their needs, as you say the bought ones are very rich and boozy which obv wouldn't suit them. In laws were so thrilled with it that I'm doing it again this year.

4merlyknownasSHD Tue 16-Nov-10 17:03:34

I Agree with Sandyballs. Apart from anything else, if you do it yourself, they will appreciate that you have taken time over it and tailored it to their needs rather than just ticking a box in a catalogue. You can also get more for your money!

funtimewincies Tue 16-Nov-10 21:15:36

Good plan, we're lucky to be in a part of the world where independent produces are doing well (North Wales), so I could do a 'Welsh' hamper for them grin.

pipplin Wed 17-Nov-10 16:16:09

what a lovely idea mmm 'Welsh' hamper

evenkeel Wed 17-Nov-10 16:18:18

Yes, definitely DIY. I'm doing this for my Mum and Dad this year - actually, they asked me to, as the previous one was such a success!

eeky Wed 17-Nov-10 21:36:55

yes, I vote for making up your own hamper, especially with some home-made things in. Last year we did this for presents for our few relatives as we were (and still are!) broke and they loved it so much will be doing the same this year. Went for lots of jars of home-made jams and chutneys made from cheap produce from our garden and the local market. Made choc truffles of various flavours, gingerbread and vanilla stars with sprinkles or glitter on, oatcakes, sloe gin, blackberry vodka, mini mince pies, spiced roasted nuts.

Put in some small portions of bought stinky cheese, and one of those lanterns that you light and floats into the sky (for New Year!).

This year will be adding home-made honeycomb and nougat.

I'm sure some local delicacies will add a bit more variety too. In future years hope to add home-made salami/ham/pork pies smile

bogie Wed 17-Nov-10 21:38:55

make one, a really good place to pick bits up is homesense or tkmaxx I got some bits for mil's there.

bacon Thu 18-Nov-10 10:02:54

I'm doing hampers this year as fed up stressing over what to buy. I dont like the ready made ones as the basket is pretty useless and your paying extra for it. Also some of the stuff is far too fussy for some people. I aim for quality produce from Waitrose and get deals on wine. Smoked salmon is always a winner. You could pop a couple of foodie magazines in too. Line it with a nice tea towel?

Laterns our out as farmers we know the devistation is causes on land and to grazing animals -really should be banned.

The deli idea is fab (unfortunately I'm living in a non-foodie area so have to search)

funtimewincies Thu 18-Nov-10 10:23:57

I could be setting myself up for a fall if I make my own (which I do anyway) as stepMIL used to make her own fabulous jams and cakes and stuff before her illness!

bacon Thu 18-Nov-10 14:04:14

Yes, but make up the basket with shop/deli bought produce.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now