Talk

Advanced search

I've been asked for 'spices' for Christmas - any suggestions?

(19 Posts)
LemonDifficult Sun 14-Nov-10 17:19:58

I asked my aunt what she'd like for Christmas and she'd like spices.

Can anyone recommend an online supplier or a shop which is doing nicely packaged, gift-type ones that actually look edible? (Most of the gift ones seem to be ready-ground and a bit dusty looking, IYKWIM)

TIA

zanz1bar Sun 14-Nov-10 17:42:56

How about an indian spice box. Round stainless steel with little pots inside for all the spices. I love mine I got last christmas but no idea where it came from.

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 14-Nov-10 17:52:35

John Lewis' offerings

I would also suspect that the supermarkets would also have a range in their Christmas goodies ....

LemonDifficult Sun 14-Nov-10 17:58:11

Oooh the £40 JLewis one would be just the ticket... except I had hoped to spend quite a bit less that £40. Darnit.

An Indian Spice box sounds lovely. I have had a look at the Tesco/Sainsbury and wasn't that inspired.

I'm considering going to a wholefood store and getting those bags of coriander seeds and putting them in nice jars. The things is I'm not very crafty, so while this sounds OK in principle, in my hands this could well just end up a bit rubbish!

Itsjustafleshwound Sun 14-Nov-10 18:02:55

Do you have an Oriental or Indian shop near you - usually the spices are a better quality and cheaper ...

I am sure you can pick up some good bottles from a place like Ikea or Pound land??

tiokiko Sun 14-Nov-10 19:17:12

The Spice Store in London is fantastic - really good quality and a great range, and you can buy it all online.

If you feel like packaging it yourself you could get one or more of these celebrity selections depending on whether you think your aunt is more Nigella, Jamie or Delia!

You can definitely get those spice boxes more cheaply - haven't looked around but this is £23.95 so probably others even less.

Or get an empty one and fill it yourself?

crumblequeen Sun 14-Nov-10 19:23:41

Online shop from seasoned pioneers is great - they do gift sets or individual blends and the packaging is nice and colourful for presents. Great product too - recommended by Delia!

geogteach Sun 14-Nov-10 19:28:14

http://www.thespicery.com/pages/gifts/gift.html
I have used these people for gifts before. you can set it up to have spices delivered at different points through the year.

tb Mon 15-Nov-10 09:59:52

spicesofindia.co.uk do a spice box, and from memory I think it's under £30. We got one for friends last year and another for my uncle. I seem to remember they guarantee next day dispatch. It's best to order early as they were out of stock in early Dec.

tb Mon 15-Nov-10 10:04:08

Yes, here we are [http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Fo od-Masala-Dabba-Complete.html#aGIF014 7 spices, each in its own tin, in tin] only £23.95 and gift box.

tb Mon 15-Nov-10 10:04:48

[http://www.spicesofindia.co.uk/acatalog/Indian-Fo od-Masala-Dabba-Complete.html#aGIF014]

tb Mon 15-Nov-10 10:05:29

Sorry, give up, can usually get links to work sad

BelligerentGhoul Mon 15-Nov-10 17:51:20

I wouldn't bother buying a ready made set tbh. Jyst go to waitrose or another good store and buy a mixture -

deffo include:
saffron
vanilla pods
maybe some harissa
one of those cute little tins of paprika
dukka mix (can't remember how to spell it - it may be duqqa or something)
sumac
Lots of others available.

You will get loads more for your money and it is likely to be fresher.

LemonDifficult Tue 16-Nov-10 15:04:48

Thank you all! I am vv tempted by the indian spices.

I plan to search out unusual ones from the whole food shops and maybe get different coloured peppercorns etc as well as spices. I've decided to compromise the glamour of nice bottles for the maximum amount of spice I can get for my money!

slug Tue 16-Nov-10 15:55:39

Get a jar of preserved lemons as well. They go in Moroccan/African/Mediterranean dishes. <<drool emoticon>>

TheChewyToffeeMum Tue 16-Nov-10 17:10:30

Steenbergs do lovely packaging.

MillyMollyMardy Wed 17-Nov-10 20:58:27

www.thespicery.com
I can recommend their spices; they are really fresh, chosen for their flavours and a bit different from those you get from the supermarket. I bought one of those tins for dh one year and filled it with lots of spices.

MillyMollyMardy Wed 17-Nov-10 21:01:46

Just noticed geogteach had posted the same company. There you go 2 recommendations and free p+p and very reasonable prices for fab spices.

helen2424 Tue 30-Nov-10 22:11:57

I bought 4 for all my family members from the asian cookshop Spices indian food online

they do them empty in different sizes or filled with spice as a gift set

they call it the indian name masala dabba and deliver hope this helps.

helen
glasgow

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: