Talk

Advanced search

First time slow cooking <wibble>

(6 Posts)

I am cooking a one pot lemon chicken thing.

Have been to look at it, ooooh, about a squillion times (it's been cooking for 40 minutes).

I am convinced that after the allotted cooking time I am just going to fish a raw chicken out of some lukewarm bath water.

How on earth do you resist the urge to 'fiddle'?

Some of the veg and a little bit of chicken leg are not totally submerged, will it be ok?

<goes off to have another look and a worry>

aseriouslyblondemoment Thu 11-Nov-10 14:03:10

the more you fiddle and lift the lid the more time it will take to cook as it's only just getting going now
if it's set on high it will be ready by 6-ish if not before
slow cookers do not need to be filled to the brim with liquid as they require v little stock
i promise you that come dinner time you will have a deliciously moist chicken
now off you go and make yourself a brew and leave it to work its'wondersgrin

Is set on high and sixish is exactly what I was expecting.

I haven't lifted the lid even once, though I am practically sitting on my handsgrin.

Thank you for the reassurance, it all just seems too easy, which is why I am convinced it will go wronggrin.

cyb Thu 11-Nov-10 14:28:22

Leave it for hours.

it will be delish. I have rediscovered slow cooking ( I dropped and broke my my last one) and have enjoyed roast chicken, beef, bolognese, a porky goulash thing, and a rather susupect soup

aseriouslyblondemoment Thu 11-Nov-10 17:31:59

bet there's a lovely chickeny smell wafting thru your house nowgrin

Scuttlebutter Thu 11-Nov-10 17:50:07

Be brave! I was very sceptical too when I first had one, but they are brilliant. As an aside, I often do poached chicken for the hounds blush in it, and the poaching liquid is a popular addition to their kibble. Also find that left over cooking juices from, say, a beef brisket (which is gorgeous in the slow cooker) would be very popular with any passing whippets you might happen to know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now