Talk

Advanced search

Any ideas for quick veggie teas for DD?

(18 Posts)
fifitot Tue 09-Nov-10 19:55:50

She has school dinners but then is home for tea and has it at around 4pm. I am running out of ideas......She has boiled egg and soldiers, home made pizza, gnocchi and pesto, veggie hotdogs, mash and veg, beans on toast.....I am running out of ideas.

I need something quick to make as have a baby to look after too. She does sometimes have what we're having too but the logistics of this are difficult, plus she doesn't like spicy stuff and we do.

Any ideas most gratefully received.

BTW - she is not that keen on pasta unfortunately!

DamselInDisgrace Tue 09-Nov-10 20:01:12

Ready-rolled puff pastry may be your friend. You can cut it into circles and top with all sorts (pesto, sliced tomato and cheese, for example, or anything you'd bung on a pizza). Or you can mix up a filling (spinach and ricotta with a bit of nutmeg is good, but you can use all sorts) spread it all over the rectangle (leaving a couple of inches bare at one end) and then roll it up to make a roulade type thing. Slices of this are nice hot or cold.

fifitot Tue 09-Nov-10 20:01:59

ooooh great idea! Thanks.

Goingspare Tue 09-Nov-10 20:07:22

Baked spud with filling.

Toasted sandwich (I don't usually buy gimmicky things on impulse, but these are useful.

Home-made soup made ahead and frozen in portions.

Er, my veggie child is a pasta monster, so it's my default meal...

The puff pastry ideas sound good.

DamselInDisgrace Tue 09-Nov-10 20:16:03

Quesedillas (or however you spell it). Take 2 flour tortillas, fill with cheese and any assorted veg/tinned beans (avocado, onion and tomato are good, and you don't need any chilli if she doesn't like it), and bung in the oven. It's basically a variation on the toastie, but it looks like you've made more effort.

Ready made quiche.

Scrambled eggs on toast, an omelette.

DamselInDisgrace Tue 09-Nov-10 20:19:29

Veg and tofu stir fry with rice or noodles. You can use ready cut veg and pre-cooked noodles/rice if you're really pushed for time. Chuck some soy sauce in and you should be good to go.

Ramen soups with added veg and tofu.

fifitot Tue 09-Nov-10 20:40:03

Home made soup is a good one too. I do make it sometimes. Not liking pasta is a bit of a nightmare and she doesn't like jacket spuds either - fussy madam!

Thanks - all great ideas.

DamselInDisgrace Tue 09-Nov-10 20:54:43

This sounds truly dire, but I have friends who swear by it... Thick toast, topped with oven chips and cheese sauce poured over the top. You can add some grilled, fried or roast veg to it to make it less dreadful. Roast cherry tomatoes are quick and easy to make.

fifitot Tue 09-Nov-10 20:56:34

That's a new one to me Damsel! I like the idea of the roast veg though and she likes anything tomatoey.

Glad I posted, I am starting to feel a bit more inspired! Keep them coming if you can people.

DamselInDisgrace Tue 09-Nov-10 21:03:26

The roast veg can go on pretty much anything. Great with toast or 'bruchetta' if you're feeling fancy. Add some cheese of some description if you like.

Also oven-baked risotto or pilau rice.

thirtysomething Tue 09-Nov-10 21:07:33

very thinly sliced potato layered up in a gratin dish with any veg she likes slightly pre-fried or par-boiled depending on veg (we use onion, mushroom, leek, courgette and sometimes squash and carrot). Then add a decent amount of single or double cream, seasoning and top with grated cheese. Bake at 180 for around an hour until potatoes soft. You may need to add foil so the top layer doesn't brown too much.

My kids love this - will eat it on its own or as a side with veggie sausages etc.

HabbiBOOM Tue 09-Nov-10 21:08:40

Rice and peas, roast veg and couscous with chick peas; risotto, using the Jamie Oliver trick of half cooking it ahead of time; falafel (the Hale and Hearty packet mix is perfectly nice) in pittas with salad, hummus and couscous; sweetcorn fritters.

tb Tue 09-Nov-10 23:04:22

Hummous with crudites, or in a sandwich

jennifersofia Tue 09-Nov-10 23:18:02

We do lentil soup, crusty bread and cheese, also potatoes cubed, par-boiled and lightly fried with cheese on top, mushroom risotto and sometimes a variation of eggs and soldiers - something I call 'eggs in a nest' which is bread with a hole cut in the middle, fried with an egg inside. Not terribly healthy, but served with steamed veg and salad, okay.

taffetacat Wed 10-Nov-10 18:29:03

Omelette/frittata
Poached egg on toast
Baked beans on toast
Does she eat fish? Sardines on toast

There's a theme here. Raw veg on the side, natch.

Smash09 Wed 10-Nov-10 19:20:36

How about potato cakes or 'veggie burgers' which are just potato cakes with beans/chickpeas, whatever flavours you like, and assorted other veggies mixed in... nice with ketchup grin

You just make them out of leftover mash with egg to bind, then fry them in oil.

MrsVincentPrice Wed 10-Nov-10 19:25:36

Noodly stir fry with a cut up 1 egg omelette and / or loads of cashew nuts. The peanut butter noodles from Nigella Express are good and quick but perhaps expensive and or a lot of special ingredients for one small child (though the adults could eat the left over mange touts and bean sprouts in another meal).

fifitot Wed 10-Nov-10 19:59:05

Great more ideas. Thanks. yes - always raw veg on the side - cucumber, pepper and tomato with a tangerine for afters. As long as she has this with every meal I am happy to pretty much give her anything! To a point.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: