Talk

Advanced search

Breaded fish cakes using tinned salmon

(3 Posts)
SandyChick Tue 09-Nov-10 09:57:22

Does anyone have a recipe for this. I can't remember the quantities of potato etc. I've never used tined salmon for this before.

Also, what veg could I add? Was thinking of mixing carrot in with potato?

bornorg Mon 15-Nov-10 16:33:37

HI I make this with tinned or frozen sweetcorn. I tend to use 1 tin of smoked salmon and about 3 or 4 potatoes. Cook potatoes and mash them. Mix with with the smoked salmon (drained), add the sweetcorn (defrost the frozen one), add any herbs/spices - I add salt pepper, coriander and a teeny bit of cumin. You can vary this part. Then make the cakes, dip in beaten egg, and breadcrumbs and then sallow fry. My kids love this with mayonnaise. Hope that helps.

Herecomesthesciencebint Mon 15-Nov-10 21:51:00

hiya, do this all the time. usually use about 2 big potatoes and 1 tin salmon.

mash pots then mash in salmon and I add a glug of tomato ketchup! I dont botehr putting veg in as I find it makes the cakes fall apart but I serve them a big plate of veg for the kids to go with them.

Can just dip them in breadcrumbs as they are usually moist enough if you use the pots whilst still hot as the steamhelps. If mash is cold and dry I would dip them in egg first.

I bake mine without breadcrumbs in an moderate oven til warm/light brown. No real issue here tho as mash and salmon already cooked.

DCs also love them with tin sardines too, especially the ones in tomato sauce, or smoked mackeral.

serve them weekly here as such an easy way to get the oily fish quota in them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now