Talk

Advanced search

Egg Free Chocolate cake anyone?

(8 Posts)
TooTiredtoGoogle Mon 08-Nov-10 12:54:59

Just wondering if anyone had a tried and tested recipe.
TIA smile

prettybird Mon 08-Nov-10 13:03:34

This is a good cake that I have made frequently. I managed to find it on-line rather than having to copy it out from my own copy of the "I Hate to Cook Book". It really does come out rich and moist and chocolatey The measures are Amercian ones - 1 cup = 8 fl.oz

I choose to mix it in a separate bowl, so I don't find unmixed bits of flour when you turn the cake out - plus you get the bowl to lick out wink

I've never bothered icing it - but melting After 8s in the way this blogger suggest is probably a quick and easy (and sinfully yummy wink) way of doing it.

Anyway, here it is - it's called a "Cockeyed Cake":

"This is from the hallowed pages of the "I Hate To Cook Book" by Peg Bracken. It is amazingly simple, foolproof, and delicious. It has the advantage of making you feel that you are living dangerously. A recipe that contradicts all the rules of baking and succeeds every time is as good as a holiday.

* 1 1/2 cups flour
* 3 tbsp. cocoa
* 1 tsp. baking soda
* 1 cup sugar
* 1/2 tsp. salt
* 5 tbsp. cooking oil
* 1 tbsp. vinegar
* 1 tsp. vanilla
* 1 cup cold water

In bowl mix flour, cocoa, baking soda, sugar and salt. Put into a greased cake tin (about 9x9x2 inch). Now make three grooves in this dry mixture. Pour the oil into one, the vinegar into the next, and the vanilla into the next. Throw the cold water over it all and mix it all up with a wooden spoon leisurely. Just make sure all the flour is blended in. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

Icing:

Put 4 or 5 large chocolate covered peppermint patties on top and slip them under the broiler for 5 minutes. Wet a knife or spatula and smear the patties all over the top. This is sinfully easy and delicious too.

vbus Mon 08-Nov-10 20:21:29

I've used this for past few years, really light and lovely

LoopyLoops Mon 08-Nov-10 20:22:53

Ugh, I thought the post title was "free chocolate cake" - didn't see the egg bit.

TooTiredtoGoogle Wed 10-Nov-10 09:00:47

Thanks for the recipes. I'll give them a go.

PrettyFeckinVacant Wed 10-Nov-10 10:24:17

HERE is a good one.

The chef (Locatelli) has a daughter with egg & nut allergies. I have used his recipes before and they are good smile

TooTiredtoGoogle Wed 10-Nov-10 11:23:54

That one sounds really simple.
DD has an egg allergy too.
Thanks smile

prettybird Wed 10-Nov-10 12:11:46

Looking at the recipes, they are all variations on the same theme: flour/baking powderand/ or bicarb of soda/cocoa/sugar/oil/vinegar plus water. It sounds really strange, but it does work, honest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now