Talk

Advanced search

Please share your show-stoppingly delicious main course recipes - need inspiration!

(16 Posts)
dairymoo Fri 15-Oct-10 20:43:16

I'm having good friends round for supper tomorrow night and am having a bit of cook's block - I can't think what to make. Starter and pud taken care of but I need a delicious main course recipe.

I really fancy dauphinoise potatoes, so something to go alongside would be great.

No seafood//fish please - and pref something that can be gluten-free.

TIA smile

SkippyjonJones Fri 15-Oct-10 20:46:45

yum

taffetawitchescat Fri 15-Oct-10 22:38:49

Last weekend I did stuffed pork fillet - stuffed with spinach, pancetta, onion, garlic, chestnuts and prunes and wrapped in pancetta. I served it w dauph pots and greens.

It was a bit of a showstopper, if I do say so myself. grin

lilolilmanchester Fri 15-Oct-10 23:13:21

taffeta, do you have a particular recipe for that? SOunds lovely.

dairymoo Sat 16-Oct-10 07:42:01

I agree, sounds delish! I was thinking porchetta but it might be a bit rich with dauph pots too, so pork fillet sounds like a great idea.

Thanks for the pork belly recipe too, will save that for another time. smile

couldtryharder Sat 16-Oct-10 09:17:52

Jamie Oliver's filet of beef is easy, delish, and impressive. Mind you, the filet of beef itself isn't cheap. It's like a beef wellington but without the pastry (and therefore the stodge) and is lovely with dauphinoise pots and a green veg. Let me know if you want the recipe. Will have to do it from memory as all the cook books are packed for moving.

takingchances Sat 16-Oct-10 09:21:57

Nigella's pork and apple hotpot is very delish. It's a slow-cook one (3 hours) and the apples go all caramelised-y while the pork gets falling-apart tender. YUM.

MrsVincentPrice Sat 16-Oct-10 09:33:07

I do Tuscan wild boar casserole with chocolate, which has an Italian name that escapes me for the mo. Actually I now feel the need to cook it again, it's that time of year.

purepurple Sat 16-Oct-10 09:38:31

I do chicken breasts stuffed with mozerella, wrapped in pancetta. Simply roast them in the oven for about 30 mins, drizzled with olive oil and freshly ground black pepper
Sometimes I add chirizo to the middle as well.
It is lovely.

taffetawitchescat Sat 16-Oct-10 12:08:00

From Sarah Raven's Garden cookbook ( my bible!)

Chestnut stuffed pork fillet

For 4:

1 pork fillet
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
150g pancetta
several garlic cloves, finely chopped
225g spinach, chopped
freshly grated nutmeg
bunch of sage leaves, finely chopped
1 tablespoon breadcrumbs ( NB I note you say pref gluten free, these are only there to soak up spinach water, so if you cook the spinach separately and wring it out then add it I am sure it will be fine )
salt and black pepper
15 prunes, stoned and roughly chopeed
15-20 chestnuts
6 full slices of prosciutto for wrapping fillet
8-10 baby onions or shallots
2 glasses white wine
1 tablespoon redcurrant jelly
2 tablespoons good creme fraiche

Preheat oven Gas 4/180C. Make a cut along length of pork fillet, without cutting it in two, and open it out. Put it between 2 sheets of cling film and beat it out until its twice the size ( I got the butcher to do all this for me ).

Chop the onion and saute it in the olive oil with the pancetta and garlic for a few mins until onion softened. Add spinach, nutmeg, sage and enough breadcrumbs to absorb any liquid given off by the spinach. Season and take off heat. Stuff the length of the pork fillet with this mixture. Add the prunes and chestnuts, scattered through, and roll it up. Wrap the roll with the prosciutto and tie at intervals with string. Brown for a couple of mins all over in the pan in which the stuffing was made and then put it in a shallow ovenproof dish ( I used a roasting tin as you need to deglaze later on the hob ) with the baby onions or shallots, whole if small, cut in half if larger and cover with the white wine. Roast in the oven for 40 mins then remove the meat and keep warm. Scrape up the juices from the tin, add wine or stock and allow to bubble up and reduce a little before adding redcurrant jelly and creme fraiche. You can add more chestnuts at this stage. Pour this sauce over the meat.

I served it with dauph pots and savoy cabbage.

taffetawitchescat Sat 16-Oct-10 12:56:21

Also, I did most of it before they arrived. I made and cooked the dauph and kept them warm in a low oven. I made the stuffing and stuffed the pork, covered it in prosciutto, trussed it up and browned it. It had just gone in the oven when they arrived, so when it was done I just kept it in the low oven with the pots.

dairymoo Sat 16-Oct-10 15:29:54

Thanks taffeta - unfortunately I didn't check this again util after I'd gone shopping but I will definately be making the pork next time. Looks absolutely lovely.

I'm going for venison and pancetta casserole, celeriac gratin and sauteed spinach with garlic and pine nuts - all from The Eagle cookbook. Am getting hungry now!

taffetawitchescat Sat 16-Oct-10 21:27:24

Oooh Eagle cookbook sounds good

<goes off for a Google>

Hope it all went well

dairymoo Sun 17-Oct-10 08:29:43

It is very good, quite 'rustic' food, but simple and delicious recipes.

woozer Sun 05-Dec-10 22:51:11

Hi
your pork fillet sounds delicious. can you post the recipe?

I have 12 people coming for dinner on saturday and I am stuck for ideas.

Thank you!

woozer Sun 05-Dec-10 22:54:15

sorry for some reason couldn't see the recipe had been posted already.

will make on saturday!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now